It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Starting PICC line Monday, do not know what to expect

Well I went in today for my visit and Dr. S started the paperwork for the PICC line. The company has already called me and said insurance gave approval for a month. Cost is not too bad considering. I go in Monday to get it done. I am very nervous and scared. Not sure what to expect.

Where can I get the arm cover thing for showers. The nursing company said they would give me an ace bandage but nothing wateproof.

Also, I am going to be taking Flagyl (250mg 3 times a week, 3 times a day) and zithromax 600mg the other three days. I will get Sundays off from all oral meds. Does this sound normal?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Starting PICC line Monday, do not know what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq213 View Post
Yup, and the PICC thing is no biggie - at least compared to alot of other things in life. Didn't hurt or anything....

Actually, I found the daily routine weirdly pleasant. I'd mosey on into the hospital infusion center, say hello to all of the other regulars, sit in the recliner and read a magazine while I secretly thanked God that i wasn't as obviously sick as any of the other patients in there with me, the AIDS people and the cancer folks and some people on gurneys who were wheeled in, hooked up, and then wheeled out - like in the hospital in scene in catch-22 - go home and sleep like crazy - which was actually a relief compared to before the IVs.

Nurse is going to be coming out to the house weekly and I am doing my own treatments.

Hint from the nurse: If your arm isn't very big, a condom works great as an arm cover when you're in the shower...
I made my ex-boyfriend march down to the drigstore and find me the biggest baddest condoms he could find. I still have some. They're called Trojan Magnum Super XXXL, and they're black (?)
He very much enjoyed waltzng thru the checkout to pay for those %^)

I did not think about this. My arms are kind of small now from losing the weight but before I finished reading it I busted out laughing and was picturing myself trying to stretch out a condon to get over my arm. Funny thing is I did not know they came in XXXL. I will have to check that one out. Not sure if my husband would get it for me or not but sure he will be checking it out.

Had some interesting body changes during. Sweet doesn't stink. In fact, you could not bathe for days and no one would know %^)

Funny, I was hooked up to heart hoster for 48 hours (got it out yesterday afternoon) and I was counting down the hours. The minute I ripped them off I jumped in the shower because I felt (and sure I smelt) dirty.

Started to feel really great for a solid week about 6 weeks after, and thought I was cured!!! Then I started to backslide a little. Now I'm in limbo (I had my IVs in Oct 07), cause that doctor went on maternity leave and never came back, and I am desperately trying to find another doctor whilst I take purloined oral meds from my teenagers acne prescription...

Still - I am waaay better than I was before the IVs, and my skin has never looked better!

? Skin looked better? What do you mean. I feel like I have aged drastically since all this started.

Last edited by fernee; 01-25-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Starting PICC line Monday, do not know what to expect

Kim

Thanks for the advice. I will check CVS tomorrow. Does everyone get a pump?

Closed Thread