It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

vwbug59 HB User
rash on knuckles

Have you ever heard of getting a rash on knuckles with post lyme syndrome? i have been on antibiotics for over 5 weeks and the rash started 2 weeks ago. My tick bite was over 5 years ago.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

vwbug59 HB User
Re: rash on knuckles

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful. I was diagnosed with Lyme's disease this past December via positive blood tests (2 different tests - Igenex was one) and also based on my symptoms. I started having symptoms over a year ago that began with insomnia, anxiety, back and muscular pains, numb and tingling hands/fingers,brain fog, and more. I had seen numerous doctors with multiple dx such as FM and chronic fatigue and even had a Western Blot which was negative. I was also seeing an ND for nutritional support and craniosacral therapy. Finally went to an doctor recommended by a friend who is a LLMD in DC and he diagnosed me based on symptoms and the blood tests. I started on Doxy in January(so more like 8 weeks) - 400mg/day and then he added Ceftin in February. Also taking Armour thyroid because the lyme has knocked out my thyroid function.

I live in Baltimore but attend college (am 20)out of state so my treatment has been long distance. I have talked to my doc about my rash and he felt it was a Herx reaction but I guess it could be the sun although I am in class and shop pretty much all day. I will see him again on spring break. Some days are better than others. My aches and pains have definitely diminished but my peripheral neuropathy comes and goes and the moodiness and insomnia and brain fog are worse on certain days.

Anyway, I was glad to find this forum. I will check out those books.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User

Are you referring to a actual rash on the skin, or something more subtle under the skin?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

vwbug59 HB User

It is a redness with very purple redness around the knuckles - an inflammed red. It is wrinkly and flaky with some bumpiness. Putting cool water or a cloth on it helps. It can be itchy and heat/hot water hurts on it. I have it on both hands and no where else. This rash started about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I thought it was related to the sun since I had been outside all day but it hasn't gone away.

Interestingly, when I had my tick bite 5 years ago, I had no rash. My doc (pediatrician) didn't think it was Lyme's when we called him but my mom insisted that he put me on antibiotics. He would only do a 2 week course which we all know now was useless.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi vwbug. I am sorry you are having so many symptoms and that you were infected five years ago. You are right that two weeks of treatment is not sufficient. Getting treated is sometimes a two steps foward one step back process. Do you know if have been tested for the co-infections?

Do you think the rash could be from the sun coming into the car? I had this happen when I was on Doxy. I started wearing light gloves when driving, and it helped.

Although a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash.

Closed Thread