It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
(male)

aenima09 HB User
Neuro-Lyme Questions

Hi I am new to the forums and have a few questions regarding Neuro-Lyme.

I was clinically diagnosed with Lyme in Oktober of 2007 by an LLMD and I made a great recovery after about 3 months of being on the meds (flagyl, septra). My energy levels were back up, my joint pain went away and I was sleeping well again. In early January, my condition worsened as I started school again (I am a college student) and I felt as bad as I did in Oktober with brain fog, stiff neck, classic lyme etc etc etc. My doctor recognized that the relapse was probably stress induced so he worked out a better schedule on the meds and I physically feel much better now, but currently my main problems seem to be mentally based.
In the past 2 months, I feel as if I cannot learn anymore, undergo memory issues, bouts with depression, anxiety attacks and anger issues. I have to think hard about what I did this morning, or what I did yesterday. My grades are rapidly slumping and I have to study 3 times as much as I normally would and still make half the grade. I also lack motivation and seemed to have become attention deficit. My thought process and reasoning ability has also diminished.
My mind will "flicker"- meaning that I will be reading and all of a sudden I will realize that I have been staring at the pages for 10 minutes, not reading and am in a near sleeping state, but still awake. Its a very odd feeling when it happens a few times in a row and 2 hours will pass by and it feels like 5 minutes.
I have also developed a chronic "tick" where my head or shoulder will twitch with the onset of a certain thought, typically something that angers me.

I understand these issues are standard with lyme, but I don't quite understand how I can physically feel good, but yet still have these mental issues? Do you all feel that this could be something else and not Lyme? I am also concerned because I only have had Lyme symptoms since last July and was put on Doxy about 3 weeks after I had the red, bulls eye rash and heavier antibiotics once I got my referral in Oktober because from what I've read, Neuro-Lyme takes a while to set in.
I am seeking advice on what to do next and what you think of my symptoms being associated with lyme or not?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
(male)

1qwerasdf HB User
Re: Neuro-Lyme Questions

I'm not gonna say for sure that it's not Lyme because I don't know, but it does sound to me like it's more stress related than anything else.

But who knows.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi aenima09.

I had bad mental symptoms also. I had great difficulty concentrating, I felt lethargic and fatigued all the time ... no matter how many hours I slept. My short term memory was a joke. I did not have the mental energy/capacity to hold a conversation. Most phone calls to me went unanswered.

If someone spoke to me, I felt 'phased out' and I would be looking at them, I could see their mouth moving and could hear the words, but it was not registering in my brain. I would stare at them with a blank look, then ask "What did you say?"

Walking to my mailbox to retrieve my mail seemed like a trek up Mt. Everest.

I don't know if your mental symptoms are triggered by Lyme. I searched long and hard for triggers to my symptoms and found none. I was always sick and always wanted nothing to do but lie in bed with no stimulus.

However, I have improved with 3 years of aggressive treatment. My mind came back and I'm working a very technical job and doing a good job of it.

I know this may sound drastic, but your health is your #1 priority. Withour your health, you cannot do well in school. Is there any way you can stop your classes and concentrate on getting back to your healthy self?

Then, when you return to health, you can breeze through those classes!

The Lyme spirochetes can get into brain tissue and mess with all our neurtransmitters and glands. Don't expect more from your brain than it can do right now. You're not crazy - you have Lyme.

Have you been tested for co-infections? I found that my drunk, foggy feeling went mostly away after I treated my co-infection.

Just my thoughts. I can relate to what you're going through. Hang in there. I got better.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Blues View Post
Hi aenima09.

I had bad mental symptoms also. I had great difficulty concentrating, I felt lethargic and fatigued all the time ... no matter how many hours I slept. My short term memory was a joke. I did not have the mental energy/capacity to hold a conversation. Most phone calls to me went unanswered.

If someone spoke to me, I felt 'phased out' and I would be looking at them, I could see their mouth moving and could hear the words, but it was not registering in my brain. I would stare at them with a blank look, then ask "What did you say?"

Walking to my mailbox to retrieve my mail seemed like a trek up Mt. Everest.

I don't know if your mental symptoms are triggered by Lyme. I searched long and hard for triggers to my symptoms and found none. I was always sick and always wanted nothing to do but lie in bed with no stimulus.

However, I have improved with 3 years of aggressive treatment. My mind came back and I'm working a very technical job and doing a good job of it.

I know this may sound drastic, but your health is your #1 priority. Withour your health, you cannot do well in school. Is there any way you can stop your classes and concentrate on getting back to your healthy self?

Then, when you return to health, you can breeze through those classes!

The Lyme spirochetes can get into brain tissue and mess with all our neurtransmitters and glands. Don't expect more from your brain than it can do right now. You're not crazy - you have Lyme.

Have you been tested for co-infections? I found that my drunk, foggy feeling went mostly away after I treated my co-infection.

Just my thoughts. I can relate to what you're going through. Hang in there. I got better.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie
Hi 6 Blues
I am so happy to hear you are still doing well at your new job. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery .
Keep us posted ,
You are a real encouragment to all of us building up to that point
I really need to hear your story today .
Continued health for you and the many of us that are on our way
Take care
Ryebeach

Closed Thread