It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
foot pain! and other symptoms

Off and on for several years, I've had pain in my feet, usually in the morning. I wake up, they feel sore and swollen (although they don't appear swollen). It lasts for maybe an hour or less, and then goes away. I'm at just about my first anniversary of treatment, (currently on Flagyl/Ceftin) and my feet literally hurt every waking moment. Trace a finger around the edge of the back half of a foot.. that's where it's the most sore. It's like when you've been walking around an amusement park all day.. except for you don't have to walk to feel it. I was on this combo last month as well, and had almost no symptoms that stuck out, really. This month, I'm actually having new symptoms, or at least symptoms in parts of my body that I haven't had them in some time.. if ever.

I'm curious.. for those who have sore feet in the am, do you feel the sensation spreading to other parts of your body? I've been having that feeling up the legs and into the hands and arms. It's very weird. (It's also discomforting that my arms and legs are falling asleep a lot more, at night. I take care to make sure I'm not laying on anything to make that happen, but it still happens. I could have my arm on my side, and my hand falls asleep.

To be quiet honest, I'm on the verge of stopping treatment. I don't feel as bas as I did when I started, but most of my symptoms are still present, and I see little actual improvement in terms of getting rid of anything. A year after treatment, and ONE symptom has disappeared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: foot pain! and other symptoms

Hi datgrlstef. I believe foot pain like you describe can be a symptom of Bartonella. I never had Bartonella, but I have heard this can be a symptom of it. Maybe others who have it can comment.

How long have you been on your current meds? I am just speculating of course, but maybe it is stirring things up and that is why you are having new symptoms or maybe you need to switch meds. Sometimes when improvement is not made, it is because co-infections have not been addressed.

I recommend letting your doctor know what you are experiencing.

I know it is frustrating dealing with this. I hope things improve soon.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I'm debating having the co-infection tests run again, or suggest my LLMD treat me for Bart anyway. Last month I had a couple weird lines on my body- one on my lower stomach, and one on the back of my right arm.. they looked like a hickey, but it was a thin stripe. I thought maybe I had laid down on myself some weird way or some fabric left a "dent", but it lasted for a few days before fading.

This is my second month of the Flagyl/Ceftin combo. (I started Flagyl in February, and Ceftin in March). I'm sure he'll switch up the Flagyl with a new abx before ditching them both completely.

------

Another thing that is weird. I get "menstrual" cramps that are not in the general area one might associate with that time of the month.. mostly in my thighs and knees. Any other females having this issue? It's really annoying.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi datgrlstef. The lines sound like they could be from Bartonella. Have you looked at any Bartonella rashes? I believe the Lyme Disease Association has good photos of it.

Does the leg cramping happen only during your period?

Last edited by ticker; 05-07-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

KSA84 HB User

I'm 100% sure it's Bart. Dr. B describes it in his 2005 report on Chronic Lyme. Same thing happen to me after being on a year of antibiotics. My soles started aching. Especially in the morning ( a telltale sign of Bart).

There is only one antibiotic that kills Bart, Levaquin. All the others will just supress it but not kill it. Within two months of Levaquin, my sore feet stopped. Other signs of Bart: anxiety, depression, agitation,twitching, insomnia, ect..

I tested negative also for this co-infection but I got it.

Good Luck To Your Treatment

Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
Off and on for several years, I've had pain in my feet, usually in the morning. I wake up, they feel sore and swollen (although they don't appear swollen). It lasts for maybe an hour or less, and then goes away. I'm at just about my first anniversary of treatment, (currently on Flagyl/Ceftin) and my feet literally hurt every waking moment. Trace a finger around the edge of the back half of a foot.. that's where it's the most sore. It's like when you've been walking around an amusement park all day.. except for you don't have to walk to feel it. I was on this combo last month as well, and had almost no symptoms that stuck out, really. This month, I'm actually having new symptoms, or at least symptoms in parts of my body that I haven't had them in some time.. if ever.

I'm curious.. for those who have sore feet in the am, do you feel the sensation spreading to other parts of your body? I've been having that feeling up the legs and into the hands and arms. It's very weird. (It's also discomforting that my arms and legs are falling asleep a lot more, at night. I take care to make sure I'm not laying on anything to make that happen, but it still happens. I could have my arm on my side, and my hand falls asleep.

To be quiet honest, I'm on the verge of stopping treatment. I don't feel as bas as I did when I started, but most of my symptoms are still present, and I see little actual improvement in terms of getting rid of anything. A year after treatment, and ONE symptom has disappeared.
Hi datgrlstef
I am not a doctor but my suggestion would be not to stop treatment until all symptoms are gone
Like yourself I have had the foot pain issues mostly in my heels ,couldn't hardly stand at all so painful
Also before my hysterectomy I did have the cramping and pain down the from of my legs .
I had thought at the time along with the docs it was from my fibroids and pre cervical cancer issues
I have had the bartenella babesis and lyme going on four years now
I had the nerve pain symptoms begin after about four months on IV treatment When they went after the babesia and Bart it has improved at least 50% on a good day when I am not herxing
Please don't stop now. Iam like you at my wits end but I know if I stop now I will never beat this
I am now paying 2400 dollars a month out of pocket so I do believe it is worth the total treatment to come to a remission of these diseases . I will begin appeal with my insurance and will keep you in my thouhgts
Maybe at most we could at least get adaquate treatment for ourselves and others in the future
Too tired right now
So take care
Ryebeach

Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA84 View Post
I'm 100% sure it's Bart. Dr. B describes it in his 2005 report on Chronic Lyme. Same thing happen to me after being on a year of antibiotics. My soles started aching. Especially in the morning ( a telltale sign of Bart).

There is only one antibiotic that kills Bart, Levaquin. All the others will just supress it but not kill it. Within two months of Levaquin, my sore feet stopped. Other signs of Bart: anxiety, depression, agitation,twitching, insomnia, ect..

Before I started the Ceftin, I was on Levaquin (with the Flagyl). I was taken off of it after a month, because of the pains in my calves, hips, etc.. it hurt to sit down or stand up. :P Is there something else like Levaquin that would help?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebeach View Post
Hi datgrlstef
I am not a doctor but my suggestion would be not to stop treatment until all symptoms are gone
Like yourself I have had the foot pain issues mostly in my heels ,couldn't hardly stand at all so painful
Also before my hysterectomy I did have the cramping and pain down the from of my legs .
I had thought at the time along with the docs it was from my fibroids and pre cervical cancer issues
I have had the bartenella babesis and lyme going on four years now
I had the nerve pain symptoms begin after about four months on IV treatment When they went after the babesia and Bart it has improved at least 50% on a good day when I am not herxing
Please don't stop now. Iam like you at my wits end but I know if I stop now I will never beat this
I am now paying 2400 dollars a month out of pocket so I do believe it is worth the total treatment to come to a remission of these diseases . I will begin appeal with my insurance and will keep you in my thouhgts
Maybe at most we could at least get adaquate treatment for ourselves and others in the future
Too tired right now
So take care
Ryebeach
I know it's really not the greatest idea to stop, but it just gets so frustrating. And I feel like I'm doubting what health problems are even related to lyme, and not something else.. I have thyroid nodules I have to have re-examined in July, I'm seeing a periodontist next week for gum problems, I have to see a gyno about these other bizarre issues.. and so on. I'm really feeling at this point that there isn't much more to be done on the Lyme front. Which maybe makes no sense, but its there in the back of my mind.

You take care, too.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker View Post
Hi datgrlstef. The lines sound like they could be from Bartonella. Have you looked at any Bartonella rashes? I believe the Lyme Disease Association has good photos of it.

Does the leg cramping happen only during your period?
I have other leg cramping that doesn't seem to be associated with anything.. it comes and goes as it likes. This particular cramping comes around ovulation as well as my period..

I did look at pictures of Bart rashes.. and one of them stood out as looking very similar to mine: [url]http://moondans.com/bartrash.jpg[/url] Mine were not as long (maybe only 2-3 inches) and were much thinner.. imagine a wide tip marker line (like a fat yellow highlighter LOL)

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA84 View Post

Hi KSA84;
I believe cipro is another antibiotic in the same catagory as levaquin Levaquin can some times cause severe sometimes permanant tendon damage .
Not all people have this reaction to levaquin but I certainly did and was switched to cipro
Good luck with your recovery

Old 05-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
Before I started the Ceftin, I was on Levaquin (with the Flagyl). I was taken off of it after a month, because of the pains in my calves, hips, etc.. it hurt to sit down or stand up. :P Is there something else like Levaquin that would help?
Hellodatgrlstef;
I had the same problem with the levaquin as you did . The doctor put me on cipro 2x daily and that I tolerated much better .
I guess they are in the same category and target nerve endings for Bart and babesis
Take care
ryebeach

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
(female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:

Hi datgrlstef
Be careful of any invasive dental work . If you have compromised immune system you are opening yourself up to alot of infections associated with dental work My dental hygentist let me know about this went I told her about the lyme . They will no longer do scalings on my teeth and I checked with my LLMD and they said absolutly NOT!!!
My nephew had Cat Scratch disease which is what bartanella is years ago . His main symptom was swollen glands and lympnodes .
It takes a really long time to put the lyme into remission .
I personally know how hard this can be .
Sometimes things are so gradual that they go unnoticed as being absent fro the annoyance any longer
Like my balance and ears hurting so bad . My head was in constant turmoil spinning and feeling like I had sniffed agallon of glue fumes .no longer there just headaches somtimes
Please follow through on your treatment as you are possiblle to do . I have come from the depths of Hell and back now I just have to kick butt on the rest. The nerve pain myalgias are probably a bartanella issue or from the babesis and you might have to go after that first . Talk to your LLMD . Going to go for now since I didn't get any sleep last night and am falling asleep

Don't give up !!! We will all be here for you when you need us
Take care
Ryebeach

Last edited by ryebeach; 05-08-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I'll ask about the Cipro.

I've had an area of my gums which are swollen. They have been since just before I found out I was pregnant with my son.. he's 4 1/2 now. I have asked a couple different dentists about it, and they just say see a periodontist. Well, I haven't gotten around to it until now.. I suppose I was hoping that one of these abx would help whatever the problem is. It might be an abscess, but I'm not sure. I know gum issues can increase the likelyhood for heart issues, and I already have chest pains. I just feel like I can't afford to put it off any more. I'm going for an initial exam next week, to at least see what I'm dealing with.

Interesting about the scaling? I haven't had regular dental check-ups for quite some time, but I don't recall ever having a real issue after getting them cleaned?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Have you heard of anybody with Bart (or other co-infection) having weird bumps on the flat part of the eye, called the margin? They are clear, teeny bumps. I started noticing them about a year ago. They come and go, and are very annoying. They don't hurt, but it's the constant sensation of having something in my eye, because they're right in the way.. heck, they might even be scratching my eyes.. (I also have a weird hemorrhage on one eye itself, which my LLMD didn't think much of.. but I have no idea how it got there, and though it's very small, it's been there for months)

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi datgrlstef. If the rash comes back, be sure to get photos of it. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler, before photographing to give it size definition. Then you can show your doctor.

Sometimes cramping can be a magnesium or potassium deficiency. Do you have these levels checked regularly? I sometimes had leg cramps at night, and when I increased my magnesium (I am deficient) it helped.

I have not heard of the eye bumps before. Have you seen an opthamologist about them?

Closed Thread