It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

karenrs2002 HB User
Lyme Disease or Liver disease?

Im confussed by what doctors are telling husband.My husband has been a heavy drinker for years and about a year ago he started getting sick alot to the point he had to take leave from work.Hes been in and out the hospital about 5 times in the past year and they would tell us it was his liver from drinking but everytime they checked his liver they said it wasnt that bad just a little damage from drinking well about 3 months ago he started getting really bad off swelling in his stomach and feet so i feared it was his liver going on him and finally got him in the hospital last week under a new doctor which order more liver tests and had a Neurulogy to check him out and the 1st doctor wouldnt tell us anything so when the neurology saw him he said the
liver test looked good that his liver was fine and a nurse also told us that and said he wantedhim to be tested for Lyme disease and that his feet was swollen and blue from nerve damage which could be from his heavy drinking or from lyme disease but tonight the 1st doctor waited til 11 pm to make his rounds and told my hubby the swellen and rash he had was from his liver but i dont think he even looked at hubbys records because he didnt even know the neurology had ordered more test so now wedont know what to think.I know alot of the problems hubby is having can come from both his liver and lyme so i wanted to share and see whatany1 else has to say.Here are the systems hubby is having. red rash,tired,sore throat,low sex drive constipation and diarrhea,cheat pain,sore ribs,shortness of breath,swelling,muscle cramps,bad headaches,numbness,blurry vision,light sensitivity,ringing in ears,poor balance,confussion,memory lost,depression.I would love to to hear from others thanks Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Re: Lyme Disease or Liver disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenrs2002 View Post
Im confussed by what doctors are telling husband.My husband has been a heavy drinker for years and about a year ago he started getting sick alot to the point he had to take leave from work.Hes been in and out the hospital about 5 times in the past year and they would tell us it was his liver from drinking but everytime they checked his liver they said it wasnt that bad just a little damage from drinking well about 3 months ago he started getting really bad off swelling in his stomach and feet so i feared it was his liver going on him and finally got him in the hospital last week under a new doctor which order more liver tests and had a Neurulogy to check him out and the 1st doctor wouldnt tell us anything so when the neurology saw him he said the
liver test looked good that his liver was fine and a nurse also told us that and said he wantedhim to be tested for Lyme disease and that his feet was swollen and blue from nerve damage which could be from his heavy drinking or from lyme disease but tonight the 1st doctor waited til 11 pm to make his rounds and told my hubby the swellen and rash he had was from his liver but i dont think he even looked at hubbys records because he didnt even know the neurology had ordered more test so now wedont know what to think.I know alot of the problems hubby is having can come from both his liver and lyme so i wanted to share and see whatany1 else has to say.Here are the systems hubby is having. red rash,tired,sore throat,low sex drive constipation and diarrhea,cheat pain,sore ribs,shortness of breath,swelling,muscle cramps,bad headaches,numbness,blurry vision,light sensitivity,ringing in ears,poor balance,confussion,memory lost,depression.I would love to to hear from others thanks Karen
Hi there. I'm sorry for what you and your husband are going through.

I think since the doctors are even suggesting Lyme disease, it makes it imperative to find a doctor who knows how to test (thru Igenex, preferrably) and then start the appropriate treatments. However, keeping an eye on his liver is obviously a good idea. Liver issues may or may not be related to Lyme, but during Lyme treatment, with a liver that may already be compromised, it will be especially important to test his liver function regularly. The fact that he is a heavy drinker may change the way a Lyme dr would go about treating.. partly to make sure no more damage is inflicted. It would be ideal (in my opinion) to have a Lyme doctor work in tandem with your husband's current doctors, who are actually knowledgeable about his medical history.

Closed Thread