It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

Elliesmom HB User
No Rash?

I am curious how many people got Lyme disease, but had no rash around the tick bite?

I had a deeply imbedded tick 2 weeks ago. The area is irritated, but I do not have that tell-tale rash (my grandmother had Lyme disease and I do remember what it looked like). But a week ago I started having this headache that fluctuates between a low-grade headache and a couple mornings terrible headache accompanied by fever and flu like symptoms (vomiting, body aches, chills) that clears up by the evening. And before anyone asks - I am NOT pregnant. The low-grade headache has finally faded, but I am concerned that I may have Lyme disease (since I do live a couple towns over from Lyme and my dog has contracted Lyme disease here in spite of being vaccinated).

I have heard it is possible to not have the rash, but I was curious how common that was. I have such sensitive skin I can't believe I would ever be asymptomatic in that area - but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
(female)

Elliesmom HB User
Re: No Rash?

Thank you, I do live in CT (Groton). I am planning to see a doctor, but haven't due to other circumstances (the transmission went out on my car and I am awaiting its repair to drive to the doctor - when it rains it pours right? - esp when your husband is deployed it seems, nothing ever breaks when he's home anyway, LOL). I was told by a neighbor that they are quick to test here, because the disease is relatively common.

My dog was diagnosed years ago (2003) and was treated with a course of antibiotics at my insistance. They felt he was chronic because his levels were low. I felt that was highly unlikely given his age (1 year at the time and only recently going outdoors) so I went ahead and had them treat him as a new infection. That was in 2003 and he has been symptom free ever since.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Elliesmom. I am glad you dog is well!

Yes, when it rains it pours. I am sorry your husband is deployed and that your car is in the shop also.

How did you remove the tick?

From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment. Many doctors prescribe 2-4 weeks of antibiotics at too low of a dose to be effective.

Good luck! Let us know what your doctor says.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

Well I finally made it to the care center. I am recently re-transplanted back to CT so I have no Doctor. I did end up going to an ER/UC center because I knew they had a lab that would draw the blood there instead of making me go somewhere else (I have 3 kids under 3 - we do not travel well). They said I should have the results Monday, because they don't run Lyme tests themselves anymore they are all sent to an outside lab. If it's positive I will see about getting an actual doctor to discuss treatment. On the flip side I am feeling better. Still have a little fatigue, but I think its getting better.

Edited to add: I removed the tick with tweezers. I have had good luck in the past just grasping onto the head and gently pulling until they let go. I had a difficult time with this tick as it was in pretty deep. Eventually it broke apart and I was trying to pick it out with the tweezer. I think I got all of it - along with some of my skin.

Last edited by Elliesmom; 05-31-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Closed Thread