It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User
Platelets and Bone Marrow Biopsy

Hey everyone,
This week, my platelets have dropped to an extremely low number and my LLMD is concerned. They're working w/ a hematologist right now and he is concerned as well. They've taken me off of all antibiotics and have scheduled a bone marrow biopsy for Monday morning. The hematologist is going to do the procedure for me. They are going to do tons of tests and lots of cultures.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Also, just extra info, when I was a kid, I was diagnosed w/ Leukemia. By some grace of God, it completely went away before they started treatment. I don't know if this is something that can lay dormant for years.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Re: Platelets and Bone Marrow Biopsy

I'm not sure how many, but there are some of the abx used for Lyme (such as Ceftin, which I'm on right now) that can cause "bone marrow depression". This, with the decrease in white blood cells, is serious. Did your LLMD or hematologist discuss that with you? Maybe that is part of why this is happening to you? Especially since you had/have? the Leukemia, perhaps making you more vulnerable to this particular side effect of whatever medication you're on?

(By the way.. I don't believe the print-out I got at the pharmacy for Ceftin mentioned this particular - I'm assuming rare?- side effect. I had to find it out elsewhere after doing some research).

Last edited by datgrlstef; 06-06-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: extra word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi keylyme.

I will so be sending healing thoughts your way on Monday morning. You're very brave to be going through this.

I had blood trouble from the Lyme. My platelets were "sticky" and could not be counted. After treatment it went away.

I hope yours goes away too and isn't something serious. That's amazing that your Leukemia went away before treatment! Yay! Just shows how amazing you are.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

KeyLyme HB User

You all are so great. I'll let you know the results once I have them.

Closed Thread