It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

smith20 HB User
Air Travel with PICC / Medical care in Maui

I have a PICC and am being treated with Rocephin / Flagyl here in MD/DE/NY. But I am travelling for 10 days to Maui, and am wondering if anyone on this board knows how I can travel with the drugs (or have them pre-shipped out there, or dispensed out there?). I am worried about the no-liquids rule on the airlines. Can you imagine if the TSA confiscate 10 days worth of Rocephin? Doesn't bear thinking about. $$$$
And I also am looking for a nursing service out there....and maybe even somewhere I can have the PICC taken out (as it is due out while I am there).

I know its a long shot....I don't know if Lymes even exists in Maui....but thought I'd try!

Thanks,
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

popeyesmeowme HB User
Re: Air Travel with PICC / Medical care in Maui

I flew from Louisiana to Colorado a few months ago. I was on IV Doxy at the time. The medication was in those eclipse ball type dispensers, they use a vacum to slowly release the medicine. They needed to be refrigerated, so I bought dry ice and put them in a colapsable ice chest, the dry ice has to be able to vent. On each ball there is a tag with the presciption info. The airline security opened my bag and looked though it, but they didn't give me a hard time about it. I also had my flushes in the case. They did also pull me aside for a "random" screening before boarding. But again, I just did what they asked and it was no problem. My meds where going into my port-a-cath, so I'm not sure about the PICC line. I just had paperwork from the surgical center saying what it was.

I'd call the airline if your unsure of what you need to do, just for a sense of security that you won't miss your flight over it.

Enjoy Maui, wish I were headed there. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

smith20 HB User

Thanks popeyesmeowme! That really helps. Where do you buy dry ice?
Sarah

Old 06-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

popeyesmeowme HB User

I bought mine at our local Super One store. I'd try the phonebook too. Just make sure that your meds aren't place directly on the ice. I put a folded towel and it seem to work fine. Another thing, don't buy the ice too far ahead of time, even in my freezer it was half of what I bought overnight. It just evaporates.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

onmyway HB User

Hi Smith20,

I travel every 3 months to my LLMD. I just put all my antibiotics in big ziploc bags in my suitcase with all the supplies and put a note for the TSA in the zip lock bag in case they inspect it. I tell them how important it is for me to have this medication I give them my persoanl information cell # and tell them if they have any problems to please contact me.

I have never had a problem and have done this twice!

Form what I recall unless your meds are in the vaccume sealed balls that need to stay refrigerated than you will not need the dry ice. I was on both Flagyl and Rocephin and they never had to be kept cold!

You wil be fine and if you are really concerned call the airlines!

Have a great trip and don't stress. It will be fine!!!!!!

Take Care,
Onmyway

Old 07-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Sarah, I agree with the others. You should not have any problems, I never did either. As a back-up, you could get a letter from your doctor stating that you are on these meds. The liquid rule does not apply to medication.

Have a great trip!

Closed Thread