It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
(male)

mta43782 HB User
Biaxin / Bartonella

Had my third LLMD appointment today. So far i have only been treated with doxy for 6 months but this time he added biaxin. So I will be taken 400mg of doxy and 1000 mg of biaxin daily for the next three months. I asked him what is the best treatment for bartonella because I felt that according to what I read doxy wasnt effective against it and he said that nobody really knows what to use for bartonella. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
(male)

luckeeluke HB User
Re: Biaxin / Bartonella

mta43782- Did he give you Plaquenil with the Biaxin? From what I have been told by my LLMD and from what I have read, Plaqenil helps to make the Biaxin a little more effective. Something about lowering the PH of the insides of the cells so the Biaxin can be taken up easier into the cell and actually do more impact to the culprit. ( I might not have that eactly right- but might be close)

There's all kinds of "gray area" stuff , but I suppose if you have some sort of intracellular infection whether it be Lyme, babesia, or whatever, then the Plaquenil might help that much more.

Plaquenil can cause eye issues, good to get regular eye check up if you take it for a few months or more. . which I have not done . . . yet

Sounds like you got everything covered with the Biaxin and the Doxy, probably a good combo. I hope those antibiotics help you make some progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
(male)

luckeeluke HB User

In Stephen Buhner's book he reccommends polygonum cuspidatum herb (Japanese Knotweed) for Bartonella. Red root tincture as well. You might be able to research on them and run it by your LLMD to see what he says. I usually just try stuff. A very small amount at first. Best to do your research so you know what you are getting into with some of the herbs, could cause allergic reactions and other issues.

Last edited by luckeeluke; 09-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi mta.

I have Bartonella. I found great relief taking Levaquin. It's a potent broad spectrum antibiotic that worked wonders for me.

It can be harmful to tendons, although I never had any tendon pain at all.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
(female)

NaomiTans HB User

Try 600mg of Rifampin with 500mg of Biaxin.....works wonders
Have been on this for 3 weeks and this is the best that I have felt in 3 years.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

ktinbk HB User

hi. this is really late, but for some reason this thread just popped onto my radar. Levaquin worked wonders for me too! i took it with the biaxin and plaquenil. i never felt better! i will admit all the drug combos since then have not been nearly as effective. we're going after the babesiosis in me right now with mepron and ketek, and that is putting up a fight.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
(female)

magalie HB User

Hello all,

I was just diagnosed w/lyme + bartonella after 1.5 years of being ill with misdiagnose. My dr. wants to start me on levaquin for the bart and i would love to know your experience with it. It seems like a scary drug and I'm confused.

Thank you, and my best to you.
M

Last edited by magalie; 10-30-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

ktinbk HB User

Hi Maga - the info the pharmacy gives you can be really scary and I was also afraid to take it for a long time. but i made a ton of progress on levaquin (I think I took it at the same time as Biaxin), and i had no side affects. i did get leg pain after a couple months, but nothing terrible... you will probably be able to tell the difference between that and a herx. by the time i got the leg pain, they switched me to something else. and it went away within a week or 2. i could probably go back on it now and be fine. after my experience, i'd say it was one of the better drugs i was on as far as progress i made while on it.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
(female)

magalie HB User

Thank you very much for your thoughts, it is very kind of you to share your experience with Levaquin. Are you still fighting the Bartonella?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
(female)

ktinbk HB User

I think I still have a little bit of Bart left to fight, but during my last appt on Monday we noticed it's gone down considerably. Right now I'm fighting the Babesiosis, which has been not fun at all. Killing your co-infections will do a lot to help you beat Lyme. It's not always easy, but hang in there. If you feel worse, chances are you'll feel a lot better afterwards!

Closed Thread