It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Leaky gut and lyme test results

hey all

i posted here a while ago.

I've had leaky gut for a long while, increasing food allergies that cause an array of symptoms, mainly low blood sugar feelings, muscle twitches, and pin ***** feelings... lot of nuerological stuff i guess.

anyway, when i eat foods i'm NOT allergic to i feel fine..

now, 2 years ago when i had all this start a doc did two tests through IGeneX believing i had lyme disease.

the first test was the Western Blot which came back positive by IGeneX standards and almost positive by CDC standards (I had 4 out of 10 positive instead of 5 out of 10 like CDC wants.)

anyway, the doc felt she found my problem and did a follow up test through IGeneX called the Lyme Dot-Blot Assay.. i had antibiotics shot in me then i collected urine on different days.. This test came up negative.

sooo, the doc said let's forget this for a while and we moved on because she felt if i did have lyme it would have came up on that second Dot-blot test.

My questions, can Lyme cause leaky gut? If so, could not be my only symptom?

Also more importantly, which test is more sensitive? is it possible to get a false positive on the western blot? and does that negative on the dot-blot test wipe out the positive that i got on the other?

It's so confusing.. i just want to fix this leaky gut because its causing all sorts of problems and i'm only 26.. i need a doctor or someone to find out the cause.. so now i'm revisiting the lyme, maybe i have some type of infection thats causing this..

basically i'm losing hope and i just need help
thanks
scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Leaky gut and lyme test results

Hi Scott, Yes Leaky Gut is something associtated with Lyme. And other conditions.

That is just horrible that doctor didn't go on your first test. I have been tested twice through Igenex. Mine didn't come put positive. I did the western blot. I did have a urine test also it showed absolutley nothing.

But through out my searching I had western blots done at other labs. had band pull up. I finally found a doctor that went on my symptoms.

Have you tried calling Igenex and talking to Dr. H? I am sure he could give you better insight on your test.

You might want to look at the top of the board and find you a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor. If you don't see one then start a new thread requesting one. Or even ask Dr. H at Igenex.

In my opinion you have a positive test. You SHOULD of been treated. Boy that is horrible!

I wish you luck!

Jodie

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

I guess that's part of my confusion.

I read about people with some pretty serious symptoms but i dont have any of those.. like i said it basically is related to food allergy reactions and increasing food allergies.. now could you have lyme and just a leaky gut?

because with lyme wouldn't i have other symptoms?

So if i call IGeneX this Dr. is actually called Dr. H? haha.. just so i dont sound stupid.

thanks
scott

Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco24 View Post
hey all

i posted here a while ago.

I've had leaky gut for a long while, increasing food allergies that cause an array of symptoms, mainly low blood sugar feelings, muscle twitches, and pin ***** feelings... lot of nuerological stuff i guess.

anyway, when i eat foods i'm NOT allergic to i feel fine..

now, 2 years ago when i had all this start a doc did two tests through IGeneX believing i had lyme disease.

the first test was the Western Blot which came back positive by IGeneX standards and almost positive by CDC standards (I had 4 out of 10 positive instead of 5 out of 10 like CDC wants.)

anyway, the doc felt she found my problem and did a follow up test through IGeneX called the Lyme Dot-Blot Assay.. i had antibiotics shot in me then i collected urine on different days.. This test came up negative.

sooo, the doc said let's forget this for a while and we moved on because she felt if i did have lyme it would have came up on that second Dot-blot test.

My questions, can Lyme cause leaky gut? If so, could not be my only symptom?

Also more importantly, which test is more sensitive? is it possible to get a false positive on the western blot? and does that negative on the dot-blot test wipe out the positive that i got on the other?

It's so confusing.. i just want to fix this leaky gut because its causing all sorts of problems and i'm only 26.. i need a doctor or someone to find out the cause.. so now i'm revisiting the lyme, maybe i have some type of infection thats causing this..

basically i'm losing hope and i just need help
thanks
scott
I can say that for myself, Lyme appears to have given me leaky gut. I was having major episodes of wooziness, rashes, etc. This was during treatment, but we were nearly "done".

My doc tested for a bunch of things, and found that I have antibodies to dairy and soy. He also found indicators of major intestinal inflammation.

He put me on various supplements to help with the inflammation, and they seem to have helped with the inflammation, but I am still majorly affected by dairy. I can eat a very small amount of soy now, but more than a little still gets me.

Pre-Lyme, I could pretty much eat anything with impunity. Post-Lyme, if I eat soy or Dairy, I get woozy and feel like ca-ca for up to 2 weeks.

I found some studies theorizing that with a leaky gut, dairy gets into the bloodstream, and attaches to the opiate receptors in the brain, quite literally making one high. I can eat the tiniest bit of dairy now, and feel high/woozy for quite some time, making it hard to concentrate or function. They seem to have been thinking this may be happening with some Autistic kids; for many of them, removing dairy from their diet helps alot.

I would suggest finding a Lyme Literate doc to help you out, since an initial test result of 4 bands is not good.

Last edited by Bill S; 11-05-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Scott, sorry about that, I sometimes think people can read my mind I guess....lol...Dr. Harris.....

Let us know how it goes,

Jodie

Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

And yes one symptom is all it takes...

Closed Thread