It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Bullseye rash info

Hello all,
I've been treated for chronic lyme for about nine months now and feel so much better than I did before I was diagnosed (no positive blood test, just dx'd based on symptoms).

Just last week I noticed a small area on my forearm that looks like a little half-inch sized bullseye, light pink, not very distinct. It's not itchy or anything like that. Under harsh or florescent light it looks very distinctly like a bullseye with a darker circle in the center and a darker outer rim, but in dim or indirect light it's hard to tell. It's also pretty uniformly round in shape, which seems odd.

I really don't think I could have had a tick on my forearm for that long and not noticed it. It's on the outer right side of my right arm and about 2 inches or so from my wrist. I thought it could be a skin infection like ringworm, but it's the only spot and it is not itchy (I wouldn't even know it's there if I didn't look).

I don't know of any other skin things that look like bullseyes. My question is when you get a bullseye rash from a tick it's usually a good size rash, correct? My understanding was it would be at least over an inch in size and pretty distinctly bullseye shaped in any light. I've had this for a few days and it hasn't gotten larger or more distinct. I am having a big time relapse of symptoms this week (which happens from time to time, so that could just be coincidence).

Like I said, it's not impossible but pretty improbably that a tick could have been embedded on my forearm for any length of time without my seeing it. This could be anything from a bug bite to some type of rash, but seeing that it's an isolated spot and is shaped this way I am going to the doctor tomorrow to have it looked at, but it's not my lyme doctor, so I'm pretty sure they're going to look at me like I have two heads and then try to dismiss it as a spot of eczema or something. (when in doubt, call it eczema!) I'm asking for a new western blot just to be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Re: Bullseye rash info

In 1992, 2002, and last month, I popped up with a single circular rash. None of them any bigger than a nickel. They did not really itch, they were nearly a perfect circle, dry looking, darker (slightly raised) edge- they just sort of appeared out of the blue.

I thought in '92 that it *might* have been ringworm, but it went away on its own.. and having seen ringworm up close, I did have my doubts. in '02, I was pregnant at the time, and my OB/GYN thought it was ringworm.. I did not. It also went away by itself after a month or two. FFWD to the beginning of last month- I just started to cut back on my abx, after being on them since May of last year. Within a week of doing so, this same type of rash appeared. Same description, same basic size.. maybe a bit smaller (like the size of a dime). Nurse thought it was ringworm, and described it as such to the dr. I knew it was NOT. I showed him the pictures I took of the rash, and he said that since it was going away w/out any type of medication, it could not be ringworm (plus nobody else in my family, none of the animals, etc. have it). What he also agreed with me on, is that it's most likely the Lyme. Obviously it has not gone away (in my case), and things like this can be expected.

I do not think you should assume you've been reinfected.. just that your Lyme is still kicking your butt, so to speak.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

Thanks so much for the response! I'm confused though, does a bullseye rash reappear in chronic lyme as symptoms reemerge? I thought the only way to get a rash was right after being actively bitten by a tick. I don't even know when I was initially infected, but I estimate it was over five years ago and I never remember having a rash before.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

People with Lyme can get a rash at any time.. and many don't even get a rash- or at least don't always see a rash- when they first get infected. I was bit in 1987- that's the only time I know for sure I was bit, and I don't recall getting any rash then.. the first odd rash I remember is the one in '92.

About rashes:
* The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)
you can get:
1. Rash at site of bite
2. Rashes on other parts of your body
3. Rash basically circular and spreading out (or generalized)
4. Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

BlaineC HB User

I find this question really fascinating. You see, I developed 2 bull's eye rashes--which, as far as I could tell, began as bites--about a month ago. And I'm just now coming around to this idea that I might have been bitten by an infected tick. And, of course, I'm going through the list of symptoms. And what I'm finding so weird is that I've got half of them... but that I've had them for months or even YEARS. Even though I would find it hard to believe (and I wouldn't want to), I keep wondering if I've somehow had this for a while just because it would explain so much which, until now, has been unexplainable. I've always felt like I was never the same after contracting Mono about 5 years ago. I suffer from severe bladder problems, for instance, which I know is a common symptom of Lyme. I'm sure its not the case. But I do wonder, and think its a good question.

Closed Thread