It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

lymphpre HB User
Sweating

I am still undiagnosed, with a collection of symptoms which are consistent with Lyme. One of my main symptoms has been excess sweating. Not nightsweats in particular, but sweating excessively with even the mildest physcial activity (e.g. walking around the supermarket). My other symptoms are all neurological (e.g. headaches, light-headedness, brain fog, weakness in arms and legs, extreme fatigue). The sweating came on the same time as everything else, relatively suddenly in May 2007. It seems to me that the sweating must be significant, but having seen a range of doctors the majority of them come out with some vague stagement about how the symptoms do not fit together, and usually proceed to ignore the sweating.

Trouble with considering Lyme from a symptom perspective (my blood test was negative) is that the possible list is so long. I have seen sweating on some symptom lists, along with chills and hot spells which I also get, but not on others. Has anybody here had sweating as a symptom of Lyme, or anything else for that matter?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User
Re: Sweating

Hi lymphpre

I have sweating(when I barely move), chills and hot flashes. From what I've read and from what my doctor has told me, nightsweats are usually a co-infection from Lyme called Babesia. Not all nightsweats mean you have Babesia. There are other symptoms that go along with it. I think I had them all but one. I think the sweating during the day for me is more my hormones. Lyme Disease, from what I understand, can affect your hormones too. Many people here have hormonal problems, thyroid problems, and adrenal fatigue.

Have you seen an LLMD yet? Because even if your test comes back negative, an LLMD will go by your symptoms and treat you if he/she thinks you have Lyme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
(male)

lymphpre HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have seen a LLMD, who said that my symptoms are consistent with Lyme, but obviously without a positive test, or definite bite from a tick, he cannot be sure. There is also the problem that I have had other health problems such as lymphoma, and am on various drugs which can also contribute to side effects. He was willing to start me on anti-biotics, but as I am still awaiting other tests including a lumbar puncture, I have decided to hold off on that until I am certain my lymphoma is not still hanging around and causing all of this .

Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi again,

How did you finally find out that it was for sure Lymphoma? Did you have any swelling in your Lymph nodes? What test did they run? Also, do you know if you ever had high lymphocytes on a blood test?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
(male)

Nexis HB User

What Lyme testing did your doctor order? Did he test you for the Babesia PCR?

If you don't know make sure you request a copy and post it here, you may need further lyme testing like the PCR testing and better lab testing.

What is funny is I came down with the exact symptoms as you in June of 2007.

Your sweating and chills sounds like Lyme, I was tested negative for Lyme yet tested positive for Babesia and now getting it confirmed by the PCR(DNA) testing.

Also I see you are in Bristol ( England or USA?), if you are living abroad you may want to sent your blood to a lab called Igenex in California USA; they have very sensitive testing, and I too live abroad and sent my blood testing there.

Also you need to be off of anti-biotics for at least 6 weeks when you have a Lyme and the co-infection testing

I sweat just by walking in the winter, and need to constantly take my coat off, I am very lean in weight so its not due to obesity etc. I have the extreme fatigue, weakness and hours of sleep.

Last edited by Nexis; 03-28-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hey Nexis,

How are you feeling today?

I wanted to ask if you ever had swollen Lymph nodes/glands when you had the sweating and chills? I am dealing with that right now and haven't had this in years. It all started after a round of amoxicillian.

I actually had this bad about 2 years ago. I had swollen glands and flu-like symptoms every 3 months. I also lost weight easier, even though I was dieting, it was easier than normal.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
(male)

Nexis HB User

Chantel,

I am hanging in there today, I am having a low grade fever that is coming and going for the past few months, and i feel hot and chilly in a matter of hours! I came down with the severe symptoms for almost two years ago so I know what its like, its debilitating!

My neck feels really swollen since all of this, yet the doctors said that my lymph nodes are not swollen, even though I started to have a hard time swallowing.

I found out recently, that i developed a cyst on my thyroid, yet because my hormone levels are normal, the thyroid doctor wants "to see" me in a year for a follow up.

I asked the thyroid doctor since he does research what they believe is the cause of of thyroid disorders, and one the one single answer he said that if its not just genetic, he thinks that it happens after being expose to a virus. This made me think more about Lyme and the other co-infections being a culprit yet because of the lack of awareness and also primitive lab testing not being able to detect Lyme is hindering the preventive action process and treatment.

Another strange thing is I got diagnosed as pre-diabetes a few years ago. I was hungry all the time and because of the sweating, I thought I had diabetes. I am very lean so the Endo doc here doubted that I had diabetes and still not over forty, yet I asked him to give me the test and I found out to the doctor's surprise that I have pre-diabetes. My insulin spikes very horribly only after I eat, and NO ONE in my immediate family has diabetes. I am thinking more that maybe this is due to the Babesia, so I hear you, these vector-borne illness will morph in to other diseases and conditions.

As the weight, actually did lose about 15 pounds in the last few years, yet I don't think its due to the Babesia, the cost of living here is so expensive, and the eating portions are very small compared to USA standards.

Did your doctor say your lymph node is swollen? If so what is attributing to it? And how are you feeling and what other conditions have you been diagnosed?

I go back to my Rheum doctor tomorrow, my Igenex results are in, who will analyze the results and persuade the infectious doctors here who have NEVER treated anyone with Babesia since they doubted that I had Babesia yet they said that the PCR testing will persuade them that I have an active infection. Yet I did test positive for the Babesia FISH and the IgM and IgG test and I have a very high infection at 1:8, yet because the two infectious doctors here said they can't see it in their microscope ( Malaria method) they are doubting the results from Igenex as False Positive. I then read on the CDC site that Babesia cannot be detected via microscope after 2 weeks of infection, goes to show that no one here has any experience dealing with Babesia.

I also spoke to the Dr. at IgeneX cool guy and very helpful and he told me that that if you test positive for the FISH portion (RNA detector) that there's is literally less than one percent change that its a False Positive. The FISH testing is also used to detect cancer cells at a very early stage.

I am now going to a famous University Hospital and a renowned Research center here, and NO one has been treated by Babesia for all they know in this country. Can you imagine how many people could be infected an never find out? Yet my Rheum doctor practiced in Wisconsin and heard of Lyme Disease, that is the reason why they are the only doctor that has been helping me to sent out my blood from abroad to Ingenex, and they also said that my rheumatoid symptoms stiff body and joint pain and aches that come and go is a sign of an active infection of some kind if its not an Immune disorder-related condition.

They the doctors here consider Lyme disease as a temporary bacteria. There's another poster here and they told me the had the same experience here in this country. So no LLMDs here not one.

Hope you are getting better, will let you know the results ASAP!

Sorry to have hijacked this thread!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hey Nexis,

I have also been having low grade fevers off and on since August of last year. I feel ten times worse when I run fever. It seems to come back every few weeks and last from a few days to a week.

Yes, my glands were swollen. I felt them myself and they hurt when I pressed on them. They swell off and on so my doctor didn't feel them swollen at the time. They do swell though.

Did you have a cyst or a nodule on your thyroid? I have hashimotos and have had several nodules on my thyroid which are very uncomfortable. That also could be making it difficult for you to swollow. I have trouble sometimes. Sometimes if my shirt touched that area, it makes me gag.

I believe that Lyme has alot to do with thyroid or any auto immune disorder because if you think about it, Lyme bacteria change shape and disquise themselves making our killer cells confused. I also think that sometimes they bury themselves so deep that our killer cells cannot reach them and whine up attacking our tissue and destroying whatever is there.....like our thyroid for instance.

As for the diabetes, I have low blood sugar and no matter what I do or how I diet, I can never seem to get it right. I think Lyme has a whole lot to do with blood sugar. So, so far I have Hashimotos, low blood sugar, high blood pressure and a bad stomach(ulcers).

I'm not sure what started up the swollen glands but this all started after I was put on amoxicillian.

I sure hope you can find someone to treat you. Of makes me sad that most doctors do not know about this disease or how to treat it. I have already walked into a doctors office and knew more than the doctor did about a certain disease/problem. When that happens, I don't go back. I've also had a doctor tell me she had to "look" something up. That didn't set well with me at all.

I feel like the doctors here are very uneducated and sometimes wished I lived somewhere else.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
(male)

Nexis HB User

Chantel,

The low grade fever i wonder if that is solely a Lyme symptom or Babesia? I tested aboluted negative for Lyme so it must be the Babesia. Yup on and off fever, chills, etc.

I have a cyst, lower side of the blood pressure (alot of salt in take to counteract this), and I did have alot of stomach pain many years ago, yet no longer. Just extreme fatigue and severe joint and muscle pain yet the pain part is dying out and just feeling really old and stiff.

Did you always have low blood sugar? Did you get that tested too?

Have you tried to contact any of the lyme associations in your area for a referral to a doctor in Louisiana? It seems that would be the best strategy.

When do you get your Babesia confirmation?

Last edited by Nexis; 03-28-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hey Nexis,

I don't know if this post will go through but I've tried to post twice already. I will try to post again later if this one goes through.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
(male)

lymphpre HB User

hi there,

the lymphoma was diagnosed via biopsy last year. This was a relapse, as I had previously had it in 1993 and 1997. Ten years later, I thought I might have got away with it.

I have had these symptoms of sweating, headaches, and light-headedness since may 2007, and they did not get better with treatment although the CT scans appear to show the cancer is in remission. My symptoms have got worse, and I am now experiencing brain fog, dreadful fatigue, and weakness. Not sure anyone is really trying to get to the bottom of it all. My GP seems to suspect the lymphoma is behind this, but my oncologist seems confident that it is not, so he is not pursuing further tests. I have seen a general physician, who ordered an MRI scan, which shows diffuse white matter lesions. But the scan report suggested this was due to small vessel disease, and in the absence of anything showing up on blood tests other than high cholesterol, he has just put me on a statin and probably thinks his job is done. High cholesterol would not explain why I sweat so much, nor why I am so exhausted all the time, and I think high cholesterol at my age with no other risk factors is highly unlikely to be behind the white matter lesions on the scan anyway.

The LLMD did not do any tests himself. I had a test done via the health service here, which was probably the Western blot test with a negative result. He uses Ignex himself, but leaves it to the patients themselves to send blood off. He gave me all the forms, but I have not acted upon this yet. He did mention that even if the tests were negative, that would not rule out Lyme, and he would be willing to start me on anti-biotics. I am also supposed to be seeing a neurologist, who wants to do a lumbar puncture, but the general physician is holding things up because he has not written a referral letter yet. I thought I would hold off on sending blood to America until I got the lumbar puncture done, as it could still be that the lymphoma has spread to my CNS, although my oncologist thinks this unlikely.

I am wary of clutching at a Lyme diagnosis, as the evidence seems so contradictory, and there appear to be an awful lot of people out there with no confirmed diagnosis trying long-term anti-biotics out of desperation, and in many cases getting no benefit from them.

How reliable are the Ignex lab tests?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
(male)

lymphpre HB User

Sorry, missed the question about lymphocytes. No, I have never had high lymphocytes on a blood test. The blood tests never seem to show anything abnormal, even when I have had lymphoma confirmed by biopsy. I believe blood tests rarely show any abnormality in relation to lymphoma unless it has invaded the bone marrow. My blood tests are showing nothing abnormal now, even though I feel absolutely awful.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
(male)

Nexis HB User

lymphre, sorry I must keep this message short, yet Igenex is considered the most sensitive testing. Also I can direct you to which tests to order, I have called them numerous times.

Private message me if you want more info. Also are you in England?

You may have Lyme and or another co-infection so keep this in mind. Anything is possible.

Closed Thread