It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
(male)

Lectus HB User
Question Permanent nuerological damage?

Hey all. I've been suffering from general malaise for the past month or so, and my symptoms have been on and off. Basically my problems began with a flash of light crossing my field of vision, which was preceded by migraine/pressure headaches, which was also preceded by a very stiff neck.

For a week or so after I saw the great light, the headaches persisted and I began seeing an 'aura' or occasional, small patterns of light in my peripheral vision (I believe that sometimes these lights were only picked up by my left eye for some reason...). Even worse than this, I felt a tingling or slight buzzing sensation that could appear anywhere from the back of my neck to the top of my scalp. That bothered me for days and only aspirin could take my mind off of it. Also, during this first stage of symptoms, i suffered from heart palpatations and had trouble getting to sleep because of them, which led me to believe that perhaps all this was caused by high blood pressure (though now I believe these were panic attacks. At any rate, the palpatations have gone away.).

As a result of all these symptoms, I've been having trouble concentrating on my work (I write). For the past year, before all these symptoms appeared, I have found it especially hard to concentrate on any one project for long, but I just assumed it was burnout. Now with this malaise I suffer, I couldn't work even if I had sufficient inspiration, at least not to my full potential.

My first impulse was to believe that this condition possibly was caused by my vertabrae having been thrown out of alignment, or by sitting the wrong way (I had a pain in the middle of my back through all this, which came and went.), although I never got this checked (No insurance and can't afford to throw money away at a doctor on a whim.).

It wasnt until recently (when I found a couple tick bites on my leg) when the possibility of lyme disease occured to me. I live in a very high risk area, surrounded by woods (though I don't walk around them much, I maybe walk around my yard once or twice every week) Also, sometimes my cat sleeps with me (though she has never had problems with ticks, having always eaten them off herself when she cleans... yuck!). Whats more, I even saw a deer right at the edge of the woods in my backyard! My roomate also had some suspicious symptoms about a month ago (same time my symptoms began showing up) that might be attributed to lyme, such as a rash, a flu and headaches, though she will hear nothing of it (she has no insurance or health coverage either).

But based on my symptoms, what do you guys think? Could it be lyme, or am I going insane?

If so, are the nuerological effects and damages caused by lyme permanent? Can things like that regenerate if you're cured? I don't think I could handle permanent mental damage. If my mind diminishes even a little I just won't be able to enjoy life on the same level as I always have, but I guess that's something everyone goes through at least once in their life. Thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by Lectus (edited 11-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Lectus, please read the post "Lyme Disease Information" on this site. You have many symptoms of Lyme Disease. Heart palpitations can be one symtpom of Babesiosis, which is a co-infection transmitted by ticks.

Ticks can be found just about everywhere, not only in the woods. You and your roommate should be tested for Lyme Disease and the co-infections that ticks can trasmit--Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis HGE & HME, and Bartonella. It is important to see a knowledgeable doctor.

If you still have a rash or if it comes back, it is a good idea to photograph it. Place something near it like a coin or ruler to give it size definition.

Your symptoms can defintely improve if you get the proper treatment.

Closed Thread