It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #1

VincentA HB User
Post Low Carbs on Antibiotics

Hey All,
I have a quick one for you. I am being treated for Lyme with 200mg /day doxycycline and 1000mg / day of Biaxin. I also am taking 4 Probiotics a day.

My doctor is recommending that I stay low on the carbs, no sugar and no calcium. I understand the last two, but why no carbs? He mentioned something about potentially getting a yeast infection in my mouth. I will most likely call him and ask, but just wanted to know if you have heard of it.

He is doctor in Washington, DC and is really good. He actually had Lyme for seven years.
Thanks

Old 09-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #2

BJ Gadlage HB User
Hi
Simple carbs are just like sugar, they damage the immune system. I too am on a sugar, carb free diet to arrest the yeast to help ge at the Lyme.
Why off calcium?
Thanks
BJG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #3

BJ Gadlage HB User
Hi
Simple carbs are just like sugar, they damage the immune system. I too am on a sugar, carb free diet to arrest the yeast to help get at the Lyme.
Why off calcium?
Thanks
BJG

Old 09-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #4

VincentA HB User
Apparently, the calcium counter acts the antibiotic.
What do eat? I am totally sick of eggs and salads.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Vincent, are you waiting at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotic to take the acidophilus? If you do not wait two hours, the antibiotic will not be absorbed properly.

A couple of other tips that you may already know: Do not eat dairy products two hours before or after taking it, or it will not be absorbed properly. Is this why the doctor told you not to have calcium?

When on Doxy, stay out of the sun. You can get a severe sunburn in just a few minutes, even with sunscreen on. Also, do not lay down for at least an hour after taking the Doxy or you could ulcerate your esophagus (this should be listed on the pharmacy sheet). This happened to me and it is extremely painful. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substantial and non-dairy when taking it.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #6

VincentA HB User
Vincent, are you waiting at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotic to take the acidophilus?

Yes.

A couple of other tips that you may already know: Do not eat dairy products two hours before or after taking it, or it will not be absorbed properly. Is this why the doctor told you not to have calcium?

He mostly said that the calcium would hinder the effectiveness of the antibiotic

When on Doxy, stay out of the sun. You can get a severe sunburn in just a few minutes, even with sunscreen on. Also, do not lay down for at least an hour after taking the Doxy or you could ulcerate your esophagus (this should be listed on the pharmacy sheet). This happened to me and it is extremely painful. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substantial and non-dairy when taking it.

I've laid down and haven't had a problem, but I will be aware of this.
Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread