It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

Morganio HB User
Question Lyme without flu/fever?

Hi! For the last two years, I have been experiencing symptoms that match pretty much exactly with lyme disease. I have been tested for the autoimmune diseases that cause similar symptoms (Lupus, RA, etc.), and the tests have come back normal. So now I am considering lyme. I have pretty much all the symptoms, except I have do not remember flu or fever-like symptoms at the beginning. I did have a bite (thought it was a spider bite at the time, and still wonder if that's really all it was) that gave me a rash that looked exactly like the bulls eye rash, but as far as I can remember, there was no nausea, vomiting or fever (if there was, it was mild enough I forgot about it). The only person in my area who tests for Lyme is a naturopath, which means any appointments or blood tests will not be covered by Alberta Health Care, which means I have to pay for them. I don't want to do this if what I have is likely not lyme (I'm still a student, so I'm kind of poor, plus I've already spent buckets of money on physio etc.) I know I can't actually know unless I get tested, but I was wondering if it is possible to get Lyme disease without the flu-like symptoms or fever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
(female)

22dreams HB User
Re: Lyme without flu/fever?

Actually, there is no test that can rule out lyme disease.
If you test Negative, it does not mean that you do not have it.
Lyme is a clinical diagnosis.

You don't necessarily have to recall a fever, flu-like symptom or have a rash to actually have lyme disease.

Also, ticks anesthetize the site of the bite so that you do not feel it.

Many people slip through the cracks and go undiagnosed for far too long because they don't fit into a very narrow category (with their PCPs, IDs)....

It would be very much worth your while to investigate the possibility of Lyme disease and numerous co-infections with a qualified Lyme-literate doctor.
I'd suggest creating a new post requesting that names of LLMDs who are accessible to you be PMd to you.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread