It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
(male)

Matt Dart HB User
Continuous slowly advancing disability = normal with Lyme even during treatment?

Hello everyone.

I've been on antibiotic medication for Lyme disease (Biaxin and Plaquel) for approximately two full months following approximately 5 years of undiagnosed Lyme disease. I have many symptoms (I know, we all do ), but my biggest issues now are with my physical symptoms.

I found that everything slowly worsened and worsened while I was undiagnosed (new symptoms would pop up, existing muscle pain and tendon snapping worsened, etc etc), but I was really hopeful that once I began medication things would start to reverse (or at least plateau).

Unfortunately, despite a well-regulated diet, aggressive physiotherapy and stretching exercises, and antibiotic medication, I really haven't noticed any improvement at all. Things continue to worsen. As an example, my newest woe is my right knee (and the tendon that runs from it to my right foot) which, beginning about three weeks ago, began snapping louding and feeling really loose and out of place and sore.

I knew about "herxing" but this has been quite different... I do herx (usually with lots of neurological symptoms), but physically things continue to worsen. Things have gotten to the point where I can barely move without pain.

I was wondering, is this normal? Do things eventually plateau, or start to improve? How long does it usually take until things start to improve?

Thanks everyone,

--MDL

Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

rck213 HB User
Re: Continuous slowly advancing disability = normal with Lyme even during treatment?

Matt

Are you doing anything to clear out the toxins released as the bacteria are killed off? Lyme toxins can cause much of this inflammation which causes the pain, tightness, snapping you are experiencing.

Are you taking other supplements to support your immune system to help fight off the Lyme? Antibiotics alone are not enough.

Are you replacing the good bacteria with probiotics? Eating an anti-inflammatory diet? No alcohol, sugar, white flour, refined products, caffeine?
Drinking plenty of clean water?

Exercise needs to be slow, sometimes I can do the treadmill without a problem, other times I can't do too much. Gentle stretching, Yoga, walking , seems to help

There are guidelines for exercise discussed by a Dr B. I will PM you on this

Also Far infrared sauna, heat to the sore areas, extra vitamin C and magnesium

Have you discussed this with the provider who is treating you?

I have a rice protein powder drink with certain amino acids that support phase I and II detox that seems to help with all the die off symptoms. This was prescribed by my MD...I hated it at first but did note it helped decrease my symptoms, now I don't mind it at all.

Every person is affected by Lyme differently, every person will respond to treatment differently, there is no set treatment or timetable of treatment, no set time for noting progress or lack thereof. Once the disease has gone unrecognized for a while, in my case over 20 years, there is no gurarantee of any "cure" but much can be done to contol the disease to lessen symptoms.

I have gotten about 70% better over the past year with mostly alternative treatments due to my allergies to almost all antibiotics and many medications.
Unfortunately I was given steroids several times in the past which probably allowed the spirochete to become more firmly intrenched in my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Continuous slowly advancing disability = normal with Lyme even during treatment?

Hi Matt,

I'm afraid that for many of us it is "a long road to hoe". I have tried many alternative things for joints and muscles. Zyflamend was recommended for inflammation and also, especially, Hyaluronic Acid. I take Synthovial 7 and I take it sublingual, wait 15 seconds then wash it down with H20. I don't care for the taste. You can read up on the benefits of it if interested. Aerobic exercise always puts me in a "flare" but I can and do walk a lot. I live in NYC!

All the best,

Jen

Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
(male)

Matt Dart HB User

Hello, thanks for the responses.

I looked up Synthovial 7 and may try it. Thanks for the advice!

May I ask what the recipe is for your rice protein drink? I'm very interested. Thanks!

--MDL

Closed Thread