It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

Peyjad HB User
Vitamin deficiency = Lyme disease?

Hi everyone
I am still waiting for my Lyme test results but my vitamin D test came back low (28). Now I started supplements (50,000 iu a week for 8 weeks). A vit D deficiency isn't uncommon with Lyme disease right? If my Lyme test comes back negative, should I retest through a more reputable lab? I appreciate all you opinions!

The following user gives a hug of support to Peyjad:
ozzyie135 (12-31-2011)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
(male)

erikjh1972 HB User
Re: Vitamin deficiency = Lyme disease?

well the most reliable lab right now is Igenex in Ca. and even they cannot be 100% accurate. i guess i would have to depend on your symptoms and what you can rule out as to whats causing them. but as you probably know lyme tests are horrible at doing what they are suppose to do which is detect lyme.

im not sure about the Vit D question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

22dreams HB User

Vitamin D deficiency is very common. As are other vitamin and mineral deficiencies that are not commonly checked for.

Low vitamin D levels accompany chronic and severe disease/illness--not just lyme.

Vitamin D is different from other vitamins as it's actually a hormone.
Supposedly when our immune system and our body's health improves, our vitamin D levels should begin to return to normal.

the newer theory claims supplementation can do damage, others claim to feel better when supplementing.

If it's any consolation, my vitamin D levels are up to 23 after being in the teens.

My sister was down to 7 - the lowest her doctor had ever seen.
Without supplementation, my sister's is up to 19-20 now.

There is much to do with the human body that doctors and researchers do not know.
Getting tick-borne disease brings this to the fore.

RE: testing
if you are seeing a reputable LLMD, re-testing would not be necessary despite a negative test. As Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis, not one that is test-driven b/c of the deplorable unreliability of tests. Even with the best tests, the sensitivity does not meet diagnostic standards.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-25-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Thank you for all the information on vitamin d deficiency, I will read Marshall' Protocol.
It has been 'pounded' into my brain, , that tests mean virtually nothing. After I find some LLMDs in or around my state, I am making an appointment!

Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

momto HB User

I actually just got some tests results back. My Lyme came back neg but my VItamin D was at 13. But my Ebstein Barr levels came back messed up too????

I just dont know what to do anymore?????

Sorry didnt mean to highjack your thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
(female)

22dreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto View Post
I actually just got some tests results back. My Lyme came back neg but my VItamin D was at 13. But my Ebstein Barr levels came back messed up too????

I just dont know what to do anymore?????

Sorry didnt mean to highjack your thread
Vitamin D deficiencies are common in chronic and/or severe illness.
Disease will do that.

Note: many doctors agree with supplementing and others NOT supplementing (part of the Marshall protocol).There's a divide. and then some only supplement with D3 or just D2.

Personally, I had been supplementing with just low amounts of D3 until I changed doctors and now she advocates for prescription D to supplement.

Bacteria and viruses feed on our bodies and deplete our reserves of many essentials.
Vitamin D is not the only thing I became deficient in.

I have lyme + higher EBV antibody level + Vit D deficiency(improving!).

95% of adults have had EBV exposure and will still test positive for antibodies years later.

EBV can remain dormant in some cells in the body and when Borrelia (lyme disease spirochete) is introduced to and challenges our system, opportunistic viruses that were once dormant, like EBV, can re-emerge.

and I will note, as so many do--

a NEGATIVE lyme test doesn't mean that you do NOT have lyme disease.

If you aren't already, please see a lyme-literate physician to clinically rule lyme in or out.

Last edited by 22dreams; 11-25-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

momto HB User

Thats really interesting. My Rheumotologist was stumped b/c she said my "chronic" EBV came back high but also my "acute".

I am actually seeing her b/c they were trying to rule out lupus and such.

Thankyou for that bit of information!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
(female)

rck213 HB User

My EBV reactivated twice in the past 5 years, my vitamin D level was 11 and will not go over 30 even with supplementation

Then I was found to be Lyme positive by Western Blot. ELISA was always negative

You need a lyme literate provider....Lyme suppresses the immune system allowing other stealth viruses like EBV to activate again

Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
(female)

momto HB User

My Lyme test came back negative. Only band 23 showed up on the IgM???? I dont know if I am looking at something autoimmune or Lyme????

Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
(female)

22dreams HB User

Band 23 is specific to lyme disease. Nothing else can create a positive band 23.

as long as lyme disease infection is ongoing, it can create autoimmune reaction and it can persist--until the infection is eradicated.

Some treatments for autoimmune & other diseases (i.e. steroids), suppress the immune system, causing the lyme symptoms to worsen.

As rck213 says, you really need to see a lyme-literate provider.

Last edited by 22dreams; 11-26-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clarify

Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
(female)

hanshanmtn HB User

Read my reply to the thread "Can this be lyme?"

Old 12-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Thanks for the info hanshanmtn...I got my Lyme test results back a while ago and of course not enough bands according to CDC so I was told it's neg.(even though I have equiv results on antibody part. I talked to ALOT of people and did ALOT of research and have an appt with a LLMD in Feb. She follows Dr. B's guidelines and is recommended by Dr. S in Maryland. (maybe we can write full names of drs here but just to be safe...) Anyway I am anxious to find out what she will say, I am 99.9% sure it's what I have based on results and reading, so I am excited to start treatment. I'll pot again after appt!

Closed Thread