It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Anaplasmosis????

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of the tick illness Anaplasmosis? My doctor thought for sure I had lyme and tested me for it but test came back negative. I believe he did the western blot and only 1 or 2 bands were positive. Does anyone know - is anaplasmosis a different test? The reason I'm asking is because on Thursday my dog - 3 year old yellow lab was diagnosed with this through bloodwork at the vet. That morning she was walking and then would suddenly just drop down to a sit, wait a minute then try to walk again and was stumbling - this kept happening on and off all morning and she was acting strange. I could tell she also had a fever - took her to the vet as an emergency visit and they tested her and she came up positive. Now I'm wondering if this is the strain I have since apparently it's right in my backyard?? I go everywhere she does so it's not like she has been anywhere else. I am very worried about her and am now wondering - should I request this test for myself or was it part of the western blot?
Oh - the vet put her on a 3month course of Doxy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Anaplasmosis????

Bumping up.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Kdel, I read about it on the net. Yes transfered by ticks. Yes I would get tested for it.

Hope you find the right treatment soon!

Jodie

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
(female)

ac130 HB User

Anaplasmosis is *not* lyme, but you can get it along with lyme since it is transmitted via tick bite. I think it is closely related to the tick-borne illness ehrlichiosis. I would recommend getting tested for those two, as well as other tick-borne coinfections such as babesia. They are definitely not included in your lyme western blot.

Also keep in mind that it is definitely possible to have lyme and yet test negative. The test checks for antibodies in your bloodstream, and if your body is not yet producing many (i.e., you were bitten very recently) or most of the antibodies are already attached to lyme pathogens, then you're less likely to get a positive. If you do test positive for a _different_ tick-borne infection, then it's likely that you have lyme as well.

If nothing comes up and the doctor won't treat you but you still have symptoms, consider going to a lyme expert. It's not a good thing to have undiagnosed for long...

Closed Thread