6 yr old with Babesiosis
We live in the Hudson Valley in NYS and spend plenty of time outdoors. My 6 year old daughter has had Lyme twice, first at 18 months, then last May. Both times she had a clear bullseye rash and fever, and both times she began antibiotics the day the symptoms began.
She was fine until last September, when she began to get very tired and fall asleep every afternoon; had some incidents of nausea when swinging; one dizzy spell; and started to wet the bed. The bed wetting happened every time she fell asleep for a nap and often just after falling asleep at night, even when she had just peed. I took her to her pediatrician after a week of this, he ran some blood work, and she tested positive for Babesia.
Her doctor said that they only treat severe cases because the treatments are so harsh, and mild cases tend to resolve themselves. So we did nothing, and a week later she was fine.
She had a very good, happy fall, but here's what's happening now: In December she began to have crying spells (not new for her, but she hadn't had them with this frequency in almost a year); she has become clingy and anxious sometimes; the bed-wetting never completely stopped, but reduced frequency to once or twice a month; began having insomnia a couple times a week, during which she gets very distraught; had a sudden change in her pronunciation of words ending in "ar" (i.e. car), having difficulty with the 'r' sound.
Apart from these issues, she is vibrant, full of energy, concentrates well, rarely gets sick, never complains of any aches and pains, and is happy most of the time.
Her pediatrician said it could be the Babesia lingering on, but didn't recommend any treatment other than some herbs to help her emotional fragility and epsom salt baths. I am considering taking her to a Lyme specialist, but I'm trying to find out more before committing to the $1000 first appointment and potentially harsh drugs for a fairly mild set of symptoms.
What I want to know is:
1. Can the babesia disappear without treatment? If so, how long can it take?
2. Are mild cases likely to worsen in time if not treated?
3. If she has another blood test now, would a negative result mean it has been eradicated?
4. Is there anything else I should ask her pediatrician to check before heading to the Lyme specialist? (they all have a several month wait anyway)
Sorry this is so long-winded and thank you for any thoughts!