It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

pleasehelp101 HB User
Diagnosed with ibs but can it be Lyme? Please please help

I had a tick bite about 4 years ago. Didn't know much about Lyme disease back then so I didn't worry too much. Didn't have a bull eyes rash or felt sick so it never crossed my mind to get treated for Lyme four years ago.

Fast forward to 2 1/2 years later and I can't figure out what is wrong with me. For about a year, I have been feeling quite "funny, weird, strange". I feel different. It first started with my colon. My lower left abdomen had a sausage like lump that came and went. My bowel movement started to change, I started having more frequent bowel movements with pallet like stools. Then at times I started to feel extremely tired and, occasionally I would feel disoriented. I also get frequent headaches that put a lot of pressure in one eye. For the past year, I haven't had a full night rest as I feel like I am always half awake at night due to discomfort in my colon. Sometimes when i lie my head on my pillow! I feel like my head weighs a million ton. I also randomly get weird small red itching insect bite marks all over my skin that comes and goes (1 to 2 small bumps would appear and disappear if I don't scratch it).

Recently had a colonoscopy done due to my change in bowel movement, blood
in stool, and sausage like lump. Test results came back negative (did not find anything). The doctor diagnosed me with IBS.

I have read many topics on this forum regarding being diagnosed with IBS and
Lyme disease. For those who were diagnosed with IBS, what was your story and how did you come to find that it wasn't IBS?

I am concern it might be Lyme because of all the other symptoms and the tick bite a few years ago.

How much does it cost to get tested and treated for Lyme? Please help. I have been concerned with this for a really long time but when my dr suggested that I get a colonoscopy as it may provide me with answers, I was hoping I would get them. But with negative results for colonoscopy, blood test, etc, it makes me come back to this forum searching.

Last edited by pleasehelp101; 05-22-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

equestrian06 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with ibs but can it be Lyme? Please please help

Getting tested through a regular doctor is usually covered by insurance.. but from what Im reading, that test is the most inaccurate and nearly worthless. Treatment can be expensive (again from reading... it doesnt seem like insurance companies like to pay for years of antibiotics)... but if youre diagnosed with lyme, why worry about cost? It has to be dealt with regardless.

Im in the process of finding a lyme literate doctor near Sacramento so hopefully this wont cost me an arm and a leg - because simply put, I dont exactly have tons of funding to go around!

Last edited by equestrian06; 05-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Re: Diagnosed with ibs but can it be Lyme? Please please help

Hi Please help. I am sorry for your problems. I do not have the digestive type lyme but a friend of mine does. Your symptoms sound much like hers. I cannot see where you are located but it is most importnat to find a Lyme Literate doctor in your area. (LLMD). They are not widely known and there are not many out there. Chronic Lyme is a very misunderstood and controversial disease. You can go to the international Lyme and Asociated Disease website for more information. It is the only Lyme website that I trust although once you do research, you will find others you can use. there is one in Canada that is good but I forget the name of it. Lyme comes with a few other co-infections. They are parasites in the tick that are transferred along with the lyme bacteria. They are difficult to detect and each type cause different symptoms which is why you will find different suffering on this board. For instance, My issues are mostly neurological and are caused by Bartonella that came along with the Lyme borrelias (sp?). You can also look up "advanced topics in Lyme disease" to find out more abotu this. Please, please look for an LLMD in your area as soon as possible. The faster you start treatment, the beter, if it is Lyme.

Closed Thread