It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

madrona1 HB User
Candida+Lyme and Herx questions

I have had Candida for about 10 years, off and on, but getting worse over the last 2-3 years. I can control it with diet and supplements. Got freaked out by a bad Herx on one supplement and haven't gone back to it, but I see I am just going to have to deal with Herxes (gently if possible).

My doc recently tested me for Lyme and feels it is likely I have chronic Lyme, based on my CD57 and Western Blot. She seems to be an LLMD or getting there.

I saw a different doctor for a localized bacterial infection in July. First I was put on Keflex, but I got these rashes on my arms whenever I got hot and sweaty (hiking, working out, etc.). They were itchy and there were some small hives, too. I was switched to Doxy and immediately had severe pain in one muscle in my left arm. And weakness. After two days of this, I stopped the Doxy and it went away fairly quickly. This was a muscle that had been somewhat painful, due to RSI, for a few weeks prior to the ABs. It just got tons worse on the Doxy. I could barely move my arm.

Meanwhile, while on the two ABs, my Candida started getting out of control. My doc wants to get my Candida under control before dealing with the Lyme, because it will just get worse on ABs. And before treating the Candida, she wants to treat my H. pylori infection (asymptomatic but high numbers of bacteria). I am feeling anxious about getting the Lyme treatment under way, though I believe I have had it for years.

If Candida is so common with Lyme, are you treating the Candida first? If/when it comes back, do you go off ABs and go back to square one? And how do I take Doxy if it causes me such severe pain? Do you start at a lower dose? Does that seem like a Herx reaction?

I am curious about people's experiences and approaches to this. The truth is I have only been on anti-Candida supplements, never an Rx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
(female)

aat HB User
Re: Candida+Lyme and Herx questions

Just wanted to ABSOLUTELY confirm without a shadow of a doubt that what you were experiencing with the Doxy and other Antibiotics were Typical herxes. Lyme herxing can come as fevers, severe pain, emotional swings, basically any symptoms you have already had, just more intense... And sometimes the herxing will bring about NEW symptoms!!! So keep going keep fighting this infection and definitely get yourself on as high dose of probiotics as you can tolerate... Its a long journey but there's is life after lyme I always say, Lyme is a Marathon, Not a Sprint! The healing journey is long, complex, expensive, lonely and everything else under the sun... It takes time. It will get better <3

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Candida+Lyme and Herx questions

Madorna, never in the years of antibiotics did my doc pull me off because of candida. But each doc is different.
There are prescription meds your doc can put you on for candida...but then there are supplements you can get to take while doing your antibiotics.

Staying away from sugar and refined flour is very important. You can go to the health food store and get yeast free breads.
And like aat suggested probiotics is a must!

You can also get some grapefruit extract, and put it in water to drink it. Do not drink with your antibiotics...

There is also a supplement called candex. Actually there are a lot of supplements out there to take.

From where you are sitting you can find Candida diet and follow that.

Jodie

The Following User Says Thank You to jojo For This Useful Post:
6Blues (01-16-2012)
Closed Thread