It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

kaylarose93 HB User
Second time with Lymes. Advice?

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your advice and help!

When I was 12 or so, I got Lymes from a summer camp, and it was classic presentation, with a rash, fevers, neck pain, headache, etc., and was diagnosed within a few days as Lyme's with aseptic(viral) meningitis. I was treated with about a month of antibiotics (I'm afraid I don't remember the exact dosage though), and everything seemed to be fine.

A year and a half later, I apparently spontaneously developed viral meningitis, which turned into encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), and left me in bed for almost three months. Fortunately, it was mild, as far as encephalitis goes, and I have no lasting effects. The doctors adamantly denied that there could be a connection to the Lyme's because I had taken the full course of antibiotics.

I am a month into my freshman year of college (and halfway across the country), and I developed a cold/cough/sore throat that wasn't going away after three weeks. I went into the doctor last Thursday, and was diagnosed with bronchitis, but asked him about Lyme's, because I had gone on a backpacking orientation trip, and I was having a lot of fatigue and headaches that seemed beyond the bronchitis. He took blood, and diagnosed a Z-pack for the bronchitis.

I felt very sick over the weekend: feverish, achey, fatigued, horrible headaches. By Monday, when I finished the Z-pack, I was doing a bit better but still felt sickly and fatigued. Today, the doctor told me that the titer came back positive for Lyme's, and prescribed three weeks of 200mg/day Doxicycline.

From the first episode, it appears (with the possible execption of the meningitis/encephalitis) that I have not been afflicted with chronic Lyme's, for which I am very grateful. However, I'd like to keep it that way with this bout of it. According to what I've seen on these boards, 3 weeks at 200mg is not enough. Is this really true?

Also, detoxing is apparently an important step, but as a college student, I have no access to epsom salt baths or steam showers. What sort of actions can I take in this situation to get over this as quickly (and painlessly) as possible?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread