It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

runningchick HB User
What do my western blot results mean?

Hi all,

I received my western blot results from Igenex today however i don't know how to
interpret these. Would these results get me a diagnosis maybe? A little
confusing and i can't speak with my consultant until the 29th of this month.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

IgG - Result.
Igenex - positive
cdc/nys - negative

18 kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28 kDa -
30 kDa +
**31 kDa +++
**34 kDa IND
**39 kDa IND
**41 kDa ++
45 kDa -
58 kDa +
66 kDa -
**83-93 kDa -

IgM
Igenex - Negative
CDC/NYS - Negative

18 kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28 kDa -
30 kDa -
**31 kDa IND
**34 kDa -
**39 kDa IND
**41 kDa +
45 kDa -
58 kDa -
66 kDa -
**83-93 kDa -

Thanks

Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

runningchick HB User
Re: What do my western blot results mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
These results mean that you are positive for Lyme Disease from Igenex, but not for the CDC (Center for Disease Control). The CDC has stricter standards but Igenex, IMO, is valid for a positive diagnosis. An LLMD would, I'm pretty certain, consider you positive as well, in terms of testing. Lyme is primarily diagnosed by symptoms, especially for those with symptoms but who don't test positive. But your results are "positive". Now, if you haven't already, you can seriously begin treatment.

Wish you the best,

Jen
Thank you very much Jen.

I was 99% sure I had lyme disease. Then my doctor on the nhs told me not to have the test from igenex because all tests come back positive and because i respond to steroids i couldn't possibly have lyme disease.

This has filled me with doubt, even now I have the result I was wishing for. Should i maybe try another test, such as the Melisa, to get a definite diagnosis? Or are the results i have enough?

Many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

runningchick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Not sure what "nhs" means but if this is not an LLMD I wouldn't put too much stock into what he is saying and . . . I seriously doubt he is an LLMD because a lyme doc wouldn't make these ridiculous statements.

That said , You tested positive. I wouldn't question those results. Igenex is the premier lab for lyme testing and they say you are positive. The important thing now is to begin treatment ASAP!

As for your doc saying everyone tests positive with Igenex, that is absolutely not true! In fact, most people I know with legitimate lyme test "negative". Thankfully, LLMDS will treat anyway as lyme is diagnosed primarily by symptoms, not tests.

Jen
Hi Jen,

In the UK, nhs stands for national health service. It is free healthcare. The doctor I am seeing privately regarding lyme is on annual leave and i am not able to speak to her until the 29th October. This consultant is not sure if he even believes in lyme disease. He believes I have an autoimmune disorder and wants to put me on immunosuppresent tablets.

This is a little of my history:
My first symptoms were a VERY severe headache, blurred and double vision, meningitis, encephalitis.. i have also suffered from memory problems and bells palsy.

Many thanks

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Runningchick:
I agree with Jenn that if Igenix said you have lyme I think you probably do. I would like to know what your symptoms were of the encephalitis and the meningitis. Were you confirmed that you had those illnesses and how did they diagnose them. LaLa

Old 10-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #5
(female)

runningchick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Runningchick:
I agree with Jenn that if Igenix said you have lyme I think you probably do. I would like to know what your symptoms were of the encephalitis and the meningitis. Were you confirmed that you had those illnesses and how did they diagnose them. LaLa
Thank you for your response.

My symptoms of the meningoencephalitis started with a severe headache and then my vision and balance were off. I had these symptoms for a few weeks while i was in Mallorca. I then returned to the UK and the following day took two grand mal seizures. I was sent home from hospital with suspected epilepsy. I was so weak and i couldn't put my chin to my neck. I ended up going back to hospital where they asked me if i thought i was ill enough to be in hospital.. YES. They then did a lumber puncture and an mri scan and made the diagnosis from there. An mri scan i had a few days earlier when i was in hospital with the seizures was normal. I was in hospital for a little over a month with this. I deterioted and i have lost my memory of most of this time. I was hallucinating alot. I couldnt eat or drink without vomiting so was given fluids though IV. I went from 8 stone to 6 stone in 2 weeks. I was treat with acycloviar, anti-fungals, anti-virals and steroids. We don't know which ones

My symptoms following this episode have not been so serious. In December 2010 i started having problems with my vision (blurred and doube vision). I was sent home from accident and emergency department twice being told nothing was wrong. Turns out i had inflammation in my brain again so i was back in hospital on IV steroids for a week. My balance was also affected.

In August 2011 i started to realise that there was something not quite right with my vision again. I went to see my doctor who arranged for me to go see my neurologist. However, a day later, my face was tight all morning and i didn't think anything of it. Then, i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realised that half of my face was paralysed. I called my doctor who told me i needed to go to the surgery. He assessed me and i had to go over to hospital where i was further assesed and told i would need to stay in hospital. They did an mri scan which showed inflammation in my brain again. So i as given IV steroids again.

I have had 3 ELISA tests done and they all tested negative.

My consultant wants to treat me for an autoimmune disorder but is not sure which one.

We have no idea what has been causing this any of the times. Lyme could possible be the answer.

Closed Thread