It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

Guessing HB User
Exercise and Lyme Disease

Has anyone noticed a correlation between exercise and Lyme Disease symptoms?

Prior to being diagnosed, I began taking Zumba classes. After about two weeks of doing Zumba two evenings per week, I became very sick. Doc thought it was bronchitis, sinus infection....antibiotics. I started to feel some better but not completely well. Then I started running twice a day. After only one week of running, I became VERY sick. I couldn't walk 10 feet without feeling like I was going to die.

Now, I'm scared to death to exercise. Doc tells me to just walk, don't push it he says.

Oh, I also started subbing for friends in a bowling league who couldn't bowl once or twice. During a bowling event, I lost my balance (very bad balance issues since being diagnosed with Lyme) and fell, breaking my right elbow.

Has anyone here experience anything similar to this?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User
Re: Exercise and Lyme Disease

You could be experiencing a herx because exercise does two things, increases body temp and increases oxygen levels in the blood. This can cause a significant die-off reaction/herx.

Exercise is a very important part of helping the body to heal. It can also help your antibiotics penetrate deeper into the tissues but its not good to exercise so much that you crash.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

FastUno HB UserFastUno HB User
Re: Exercise and Lyme Disease

Very true. To get better with Lyme and ABX you need to exercise, but you cant overdue it. If you do, then your immunity is lowered and the bacteria can spread.

Exercise with free weights for 1hr a day, build up to it slowly and as your body can handle. Never overdue it and try to take a hot bath after and even nap if you need to. Do this with one day and take off the next day so your body can recoup.

Lyme does not like O2 and heat, as was mentioned.

You have to keep away from carbs and processed sugars, since it feeds the Lyme. Eat veggies, but not those that are high in carbs. So no potato, yams...etc. Eat meats and dairy all you want. Limit fruits to lemons, grapefruit, and green apples, since most are high in sugar.

Last edited by FastUno; 12-25-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Closed Thread