It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
(female)

lenabubble HB User
Lyme and Depression

Does anyone have depression symptoms with lyme? I have been sick since Oct 2010, finally diagnosed April 2011, saw various doctors, and finally December 2011 saw an LLMD. He's still running more tests before I start treatments but I'm suffering from these horrible depressive symptoms including suicidal ideations. No suicidal attempts or intentions at all, just wishful thinking that I would just die. I feel like I have no future and that I'm just going to become a burden to those around me as I get sicker with the treatments. The thoughts haunt me and overtake my everyday life. I cry all of the time and I was never like this before. I have been taking SAMe for a few weeks and after a few days, it seemed to be helping but now all of the thoughts are back. Some preliminary testing showed that the lyme has gone to my brain, my left cerebellum is my LLMD's suggestion and I just had an MRI this week to see what's going on up there. He's also suggested that the lyme has damaged my small intestine and he's testing me for celiac disease. I just feel like i've lost everything that's important to me. I can't walk without assistance, if I test positive for celiac I wont be able to eat the things I once loved, and now my job is affected. I've always been a workaholic (i'm a social worker) and I can't do my job tasks without help now. I'm losing a grip on life and I don't know how to handle it. I'm open to any suggestions, I don't want to live this way.

The following user gives a hug of support to lenabubble:
prairiemom (01-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

prairiemom HB Userprairiemom HB User
Re: Lyme and Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenabubble View Post
Does anyone have depression symptoms with lyme? I have been sick since Oct 2010, finally diagnosed April 2011, saw various doctors, and finally December 2011 saw an LLMD. He's still running more tests before I start treatments but I'm suffering from these horrible depressive symptoms including suicidal ideations. No suicidal attempts or intentions at all, just wishful thinking that I would just die. I feel like I have no future and that I'm just going to become a burden to those around me as I get sicker with the treatments. The thoughts haunt me and overtake my everyday life. I cry all of the time and I was never like this before. I have been taking SAMe for a few weeks and after a few days, it seemed to be helping but now all of the thoughts are back. Some preliminary testing showed that the lyme has gone to my brain, my left cerebellum is my LLMD's suggestion and I just had an MRI this week to see what's going on up there. He's also suggested that the lyme has damaged my small intestine and he's testing me for celiac disease. I just feel like i've lost everything that's important to me. I can't walk without assistance, if I test positive for celiac I wont be able to eat the things I once loved, and now my job is affected. I've always been a workaholic (i'm a social worker) and I can't do my job tasks without help now. I'm losing a grip on life and I don't know how to handle it. I'm open to any suggestions, I don't want to live this way.
Hello Lenabubble....I'm sorry to hear that you've been going thru such a rough time. I'm rather new to this lyme business myself, but from what I've been reading/learning, lyme can/does affect the brain (as one Lyme Literate Physician Assistant said to me, 'Lyme loves the brain'). Give yourself time to heal with your LLMD's direction/proper meds and diet. The road to recovery from this may take awhile, but it is worth the effort. Stay plugged in to the lyme community thru sites like this, ILADS and other resources. You will find that you are not alone, and that there are others that have walked this road that you're on, and they can help and encourage you. Read as much as you can to get educated on lyme and all the treatments available. Discuss what you learn with your doctor, and chose the best treatment together. Rest when you need to rest, and accept help from others. This has been hard for me, but necessary. Most of all, don't give up! Be encouraged to keep fighting the good fight! I pray that you can start treatment ASAP. The sooner you start fighting it, the sooner you will be on the road to recovery. Don't be discouraged by bad days even after treatment starts...that is normal (Herx reaction), and a sign that you're fighting the lyme. --Prairiemom

The Following User Says Thank You to prairiemom For This Useful Post:
lenabubble (12-31-2011)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

lenabubble HB User

Thank you for the reply. I'm not on treatment yet, but it should be starting this week. I'm not looking forward to herxing but I guess it's just another necessary evil of this disease. I appreciate the support!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

prairiemom HB Userprairiemom HB User

I'm glad to hear that you will be starting treatment soon! Take each day a day at a time, and don't assume if you have a bad day, or many bad days in a row, that it will always be that way. Healing takes time! From what I'm learning, the longer you've had lyme, the longer the road to recovery may take, but it is worth the effort! Keep fighting the good fight, and chime in for support/advice/encouragement as needed! That's what I do! :-) Blessings to you lenabubble!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
(male)

guido15241 HB User

Lyme anxiety and depression are common and should be addressed by LLMD. You cannot just take abx and expect to get better, diet, exercise, supplements, probiotics, SOUND sleep, and stress eliminators are among the things that help.

You will need friends and family support as well. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
(male)

feelstupid HB User

i also had depression when I was being treated. I have been off meds for two months and the depression isn't as bad but it is still there.

Closed Thread