It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

DiscoveryA HB User
Acute Lyme/Early Localized, Dr. Won't Treat

Hi everyone, I need advice on how to self treat acute lyme.

About a month ago I noticed what I thought was just a spider bite on the inside of my arm just above my elbow. I didn't think anything of it at first, but noticed a red oval gradually expanding around the bite over the course of a week. Additionally the rash was very hot to the touch. I showed a friend and she immediately said it was not a spider bite but looked like lyme. I also noticed I had a very mild headache throughout that week. I began reading up on lyme and decided to seek treatment. I am currently a graduate student without health insurance so must rely on the university health center for care. I showed the bite/ rash to a NP at the health center and she said it was "definitely a tick bite." She measured the rash at 9cm by 7cm. Even with the rash she said it was 90% likely not lyme and just an allergic reaction. Well I have never had an allergic reaction that expanded over several days and felt like a fireball on my arm. She said she would prescribe 100 mg of doxy for 14 days, just in case. As I was leaving the office she said, " oh if you ever get a rash like this again its probably just a histamine reaction to some allergen, it is springtime afterall." I continued to read up on lyme in the days following. While taking the doxy the headaches contined and I became extremely exhausted, even falling asleep at work. The rash went away quickly, but I started worrying after everything I have read here saying that more doxy for a longer time is needed. I went back to the NP and asked for a more aggressive course of antibiotics and she laughed in my face. when I told her about the continued headaches and exhaustion, she said I was having "psychosomatic symtoms" and that I need to stay off the internet.

Anyway, I've now finished the prescribed doxy. I feel like I should have more treatment to be sure the lyme is gone, but definitely can't affird to see a llmd. Does anyone have advice about how to proceed with self treatment with early lyme? I've been considering ordering the doxy off the internet, maybe even the tablets for birds.

I really appreciate your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread