It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User
Post So, I might have lyme, but I caught it very early, suggestions?

Hey all,
Don't really know where to start but uh, I'm 19 years old and have up until now, been in ok shape. I dont really work out regularly and the extent of my health problems are asthma and the occasional (very mild) joint pains...

On May 15th I was at Sandy Hook Beach in NJ with some buddies and came across an area with a wooded pathway and a sign that warned of ticks. Now, it wasnt a "Do Not Enter" sign. Rather, it was just a reminder that some had reported ticks in the area. I have always had an immense fear at the prospect of lyme disease, a friend of my mother's had it and she seemed miserable. Nonetheless, I decided to walk through the area with my friends. I was wearing tight long pants, fit shoes, a knit hat and a zipped up hoodie. I figured I'd be fine. So, we walked through, we were in that wooded area for maybe 10-20 minutes. I got home that night and thought nothing of it. I checked myself and my clothes for ticks and found nothing. Come 6:00PM that next day however, I was feeling around on the back of my head and to my disgust, picked off a tiny bug and held it on the tip of my finger, it seemed as if it was still moving. For whatever reason, my first stupid reaction, was to wave my finger, which caused me to drop the bug on the ground. I searched all over the floor for it and couldnt find it. Then my mind went to the tick. I worried and worried and sat in my chair, wondering what to do, worrying that there was a tick in my room. As I was doing that, I felt something crawling up my neck. It was the tick! I snatched it off and put it in a bag, unfortunately, upon showing the bag to my father, he manhandled the thing way to much and crushed it. I felt worried and knew that I would have to go to the doctor that next day regardless. I sat in my room later that night and as I was watching television, looked down at my bedsheets and to my disgust saw another tick crawling. This time I caught it and bagged it immediately. I went to the doctor the next day, tick in bag and sent the tick off to do testing. My doctor suggested I hold off any anti biotics until we knew whether the tick itself even had lyme, unfortunately they couldnt test the 1st one that had been crushed. After a week or so of waiting. The results came back. The tick was Dermacenter Variabilis (A Dog Tick). This did not really make me feel better at all. In fact, all throughout the week I was waiting for the results, I spent my time worrying myself, reading online about the various outcomes of lyme disease and scaring the crap out of myself. And so, I woke the day after the test came in with a back pain and a weird pulsing pain that would move to various points of my body and then go away and an odd feeling in my neck and for the past two days it's sorta presented itself as a mild headache or pressure on my head. So, even though the tick showed up negative, the doctor decided to test me for lyme, because just because the one tick I found on my bed didnt have it, who knows if the other did right?. Waited about 3 more days. Results came back (I should mention, I tested through LabCorp), I tested negative for lyme. But, the pains in joints and the neck feeling remain. Its not enough to keep me in bed, though I have been much less energetic lately(something that was happening long before the tick).

So, despite the negative result and the tick being negative, I asked my doctor to put me on some medication. He was a little apprehensive but did so. I am now taking 2, 100mg tablet's of Doxycycline Hyclate a day. And have been doing so since June 5th. I've only been prescribed two weeks worth of the doxy and it's only 100mg tablets, which worries me because most posts I've read online would mention more powerful doses. Other than the odd pains and feelings that seemed to come out of nowhere and that my mother and father are convinced came from a stress induced pinched nerve. I have nothing else aside from a rash on my neck that may or may not have been there before. You see, I have sensitive skin and for a while, I had so much hair on my head that it was difficult to see any detail of the skin on the back of my neck, I actually got a haircut the day after the tick was found and thats when I saw the rash. I showed the doctor, but he said it could be a birthmark type thing or a reaction to the haircut since I have such sensitive skin. Idk. I'll post a picture in this thread if I can and let some of you folks decide if the rash looks iffy. I dont really know what else to say. I saw a chiropractor two days ago and he seems to think lyme might be the culprit of my issues. He said he certainly thinks a pinched nerve isn't the answer. I'm going back to that chiro tomorrow for a follow up adjustment. I do feel a little bit better after going to him the first time so who knows. Anyway yeah. That's my story. I should also state that the tick I actually found on me, came off very easily, almost as if it was just tangled in my hair and not actually attached to my head. Who knows?

I have about a week or so of Doxycycline left to take until I'm out, i'm not sure if it's doing anything. The rash has faded a little...I think. My mother says it has, I remember showing her after I found it, she said it's faded quite a bit. Any suggestions to what I should be doing here. I caught this early and it would be a shame if I allowed it to progress into chronic lyme. I dont think I could deal with that to be honest...

sorry I wrote so much too.. i'm pretty nervous

Last edited by NTNJ1992; 06-13-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User
Re: So, I might have lyme, but I caught it very early, suggestions?

Here's a picture of the rash on my neck. Keep in mind that I have sensitive skin in general and that the camera that took this photo is sorta crappy so It's not the best representation...you'll get the gist of it though.

http://24.media.******.com/******_m5l3uncylS1qj7rr6o1_400.png

Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

I really feel bad that I let my doctor talk me into waiting!

Tick Exposure - May 16 2012
Tick Found - May 17 2012
Started Doxy Treatment - June 05 2012

He made me wait 3 weeks, all of the test results from testing the tick and then testing me, took a little while... I'm sure it's now less effective but are my chances still good? 3 weeks after "infection"? Even if I'm just doing 200mg of doxy a day? and what do you suggest I do. Should I seek out an LLMD who can up my dose. I'd like to crush this before it can grow into something powerful.

Last edited by NTNJ1992; 06-13-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

If for nothing else, you could consult with an LLMD to get an accurate diagnosis (and ease your mind as to whether you have LD or not); of course, if you have lyme, this would be the person to then properly treat. There are LLMD's in NJ, but be aware most do not take insurance. Testing and fees can be expensive.

I hope you can get some clarity about this soon.

Jen

Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

Yeah, I've been given a few names and so far it all seems to be quite costly. Unfortunately, my parents don't think it is lyme so (and try not to judge them too harshly) they refuse to help pay. They seem to think it's a slew of other things. Acid Reflux and a pinched nerve among other things. Just yesterday out of nowhere, I had been fine the whole day, I started yawning, and have since found it difficult to stop. I'm yawing almost every 10 minutes now, and that's if I fight the feeling, somehow I feel like I have to yawn every minute. I also have a suddenly congested throat and a dry mouth. All of this hit me out of nowhere. I was literally going about my day, I should also mention that I had seen a chiropractor earlier in the day for joint pain, because my parents think I've got a pinched nerve.

This was my 2nd visit. My first visit didnt leave me feeling anywhere close to this after the adjustment, so I doubt it's that.

I don't really know what to do here. At one point last night I found myself afraid to go to sleep, I was worried my throat would become all blocked up. And even now, almost 24 hours later, I cannot stop yawning. Anybody else experience this in early stages of lyme?

Last edited by NTNJ1992; 06-15-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

How are you feeling now?

Couldn't get the link to open to see the rash...

Hope things are better for you!

Jodie

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
How are you feeling now?

Couldn't get the link to open to see the rash...

Hope things are better for you!

Jodie
Jojo,

I copied and pasted it. Hard for me to tell though. Did not have too many experience with the rash side.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

Hey all, well my parent's have been forcing me to go to a Chiropractor and i'm almost up with my 2 week run of Doxycycline and I'm feeling a little better. I still have some slight back pain and neck stiffness. And I'm still yawning a lot more than usual, which really only started on thursday night of last week, but it's not as excessive as it was before. I've had joint pains in the past but nothing like what i had been feeling. My neck is a little stiff but it's alleviating as the days go by, I hope. I've still got phlegm in my throat but I've been clearing that out with soem herbal tea. Everybody who's seen my neck from the beginning claim that the rash isn't as bad as it was. So idk. I mean, I dont feel terrible. The tick we tested wasn't a deer tick, it tested negative, I tested negative for lyme. I know that doesn't mean much.

Whether or not I have lyme is the real question here. My doctor only put me on two weeks of doxy at 200 mg a day. And I'll be out of that tomorrow. I am monitoring my health closely, I really dont have the free cash to go see a LLMD. Our insurance does cover a Infectious Disease Doctor though, I could probably have him retest me right? I don't trust the results that my first doctor gave me through Labcorp. I've read that Labcorp is unreliable.

A family friend that is an MD keeps trying to assure me that the chances of me contracting lyme from a Dermacentor Variabilis (Dog Tick/Wood Tick) are slim to none and that I'm not displaying any signs of infections that come from that kind of tick.

So, I guess I'm ok for now. If the headache come back, i'll get some scans done and regardless, In a week or so, I'm going to take the western blot test.

If you guys have any advice, please feel free to share it. Thanks for the concern!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

I couldn't see it, the picture wouldn't enlarge...

But needless to say, Lyme can cause any number of types of rashes. Doesn't have to be the bulls eye.

You can also do the Salt/C protocol. Some people have good results with this. It is less expensive too ....
Not talking about table salt, but Pure Salt. I take Himalyan Pink Salt. And I take 2 types of C.
Jenn is the best one to be advised on this protocol...

I myself and others that I have read about, don't see how anyone truly knows which ticks carry what. IF it draws blood and goes to another host, it can spread anything it has. Also other ways in getting it is, mosquitos, knats, fleas, bed bugs, anything that bites. Also we can get it from blood transfusions. And some couples are believing they are passing it back and forth.

Your stiff neck concerns me. I went from chiro to chiro with mine. They said, I was tense...lol...
I now know years later that it most likely was menigitis. From the lyme and viral infections I have.

I really Pray that it is not lyme or any co-infection you are dealing with.

Jodie

Thank you Fernee for the help..

Last edited by jojo; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

Thanks Jodie. I appreciate that. I'll be sure to monitor myself. Like I said, the tick itself tested negatively for Lyme. But I know that even trusting that result could be foolish. I will continue to monitor my health and hopefully we can save up a little bit of cash for a lyme test. I'm currently helping pay for college and it's been hitting the pockets hard.
Would you mind telling me more about the salt treatment? Lets go the sceptic route and say that I don't have lyme, would the salt treatment harm me in any way. I mean, I understand how the body works and I've treated myself holistically in the past, but I would like to hear how the Salt treatment process goes from someone who actually applies it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't believe that the Salt/C protocol would hurt you. Vitamin C is SUPER good for us and Pure Salt/not table salt is really good for us too.

You might want to look into the book...The Salt?C Plus Protocol For Lyme Infection by M. Fett

Basically salt has been used in the past for many uses ...it helps kill off bacterial and viral infections. Vitamin C is excellent for the same. Read up on it.

I "think" you will know by starting it if you herx or not.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to give advise.

Jodie

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

Thats very good advice about the herx. I'm definitely gonna look into that book. Certainly a good path to go down. Thank you for the help. This board has helped so much already! I will be sure to check in with any updates in my health. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi again,

Sorry to hear of your travails!

Re. Salt/C. This is an excellent treatment for lyme and co-infections. It costs next to nothing and you don't need to be followed by an LLMD. You do, however, need to follow the protocol exactly and using the right type of salt is vitally important - that would be Himalayan, Real or Celtic salt. If you could swing it, I would highly recommend you buy the book: The Salt/C Plus Protocol for Lyme Infection by M. Fett. Here you will find details about the protocol from the top authority on it. The book is really a great reference on anything about Lyme Disease. One person here mentioned that they were reading it online, but I don't know how that's done.

Salt/C cannot harm you if you do not have LD. You can also do S/C in conjunction with abx. In the book you will find listed information about the support group connected to S/C. If you decide to do S/C I would definitely join that group for a gold mine of information from those doing the protocol.

Also, just want to reiterate, I wouldn't bother testing (if that's what you decide to do) at any lab but Igenex. It would be a waste of time and $. The doctor you're now seeing is not skilled in lyme diagnosis or treatment. I wouldn't waste any more of your energies and $ continuing to seek his advice.

Wish you all the best with this!

Jen

Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
(male)

NTNJ1992 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Hi again,

Sorry to hear of your travails!

Re. Salt/C. This is an excellent treatment for lyme and co-infections. It costs next to nothing and you don't need to be followed by an LLMD. You do, however, need to follow the protocol exactly and using the right type of salt is vitally important - that would be Himalayan, Real or Celtic salt. If you could swing it, I would highly recommend you buy the book: The Salt/C Plus Protocol for Lyme Infection by M. Fett. Here you will find details about the protocol from the top authority on it. The book is really a great reference on anything about Lyme Disease. One person here mentioned that they were reading it online, but I don't know how that's done.

Salt/C cannot harm you if you do not have LD. You can also do S/C in conjunction with abx. In the book you will find listed information about the support group connected to S/C. If you decide to do S/C I would definitely join that group for a gold mine of information from those doing the protocol.

Also, just want to reiterate, I wouldn't bother testing (if that's what you decide to do) at any lab but Igenex. It would be a waste of time and $. The doctor you're now seeing is not skilled in lyme diagnosis or treatment. I wouldn't waste any more of your energies and $ continuing to seek his advice.

Wish you all the best with this!

Jen
Hi Jen, Thanks a lot for the concern and the help. I ordered the book and im waiting on it's arrival. In the meantime, I'm going to head to the store and pick up some vitamin c and salt. Are there any specific brands that you find trustworthy. I mean vitamin c is vitamin c and salt is salt but do you have a preference of what kind?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Hi,

Re. salt. I feel Himalayan is best. Other choices would be Real Salt or Celtic salt, but I would get the Himalayan if you can. Absolutely don't use regular, Morton's table salt!

You said you're purchasing the book. There you will find these suggestions for salt and also more for Vitamin C, depending on your needs. I've used so many different one's throughout the years. You may find capsules easier to start. I like to mix powdered C with my Salt so right now I'm using Truly Natural Vitamin C by Healthforce Nutritionals. This C is also very gentle on the gastro system. Any buffered C would also be good.

All the best with this!

Jen

Closed Thread