Hey all! I just miscarried a pregnancy at 8 weeks. Prior to conceiving I was on 4 months of Doxy and 2 months of Doxy and Biaxin combo. I had no proper treatment for 11 months post tick bite due to all the expected BS. The Lyme Literate RN i was seeing told me about a Dr. I went off all ABX for a month to re-test my cd-57 which came back at a 59! During that one ABX free month i guess i was feeling so fantastic that I became pregnant. A few days after estimated conception I finally saw the Dr. and he started me on IV Rocephin and I was to start Tindamax a week in. Due to the blaxbox warning on Tindamax I thought it wise to just make sure I wasnt pregnant before i started taking it...well surprise!! I was.
The Dr. had me continue on the IV Rocephin but switched out the Tindamax for Alinia. I had no remarkable herx from either (attributed my increased fatigue to pregnancy) and felt pretty good but 2 weeks into the IV therapy i had my bloodwork done and it was awful!! All WBC extremely low and my cd-57 went down to a 32. The Dr. informed me that the reason I felt fine was that the pregnancy was releasing "happy" chemicals to my brian and I should just enjoy feeling better. He also said it would be imperative to test the baby's cord blood for spirochete DNA so we could treat the baby promptly. He took me off all meds and told me to come back when I was 8 months pregnant (unless i started feeling the typical feeling of death we have all experienced). Two weeks later I miscarried. The OB (of course clueless to lyme) said I had an extreme amount of clotting in my uterus to the likes that she only sees in people with Lupus or another Autoimmune disease. I replied "you mean like the Lyme disease I told you I had?" and at this point I dont expect a response i think I just get a kick out of that blank clueless face non LLMD's give. So now she is convinced I have lupus (or fill in the blank with another misdiagnosis) and im thinking she will most likely tell me i do because she doesnt know any better and when i refuse her suggestions to take steroids she will think i am on a suicide mission and discharge me from their practice. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
Dr. said for me to wait for my body to recover from the miscarriage and come back in to see him in a few weeks to go from there.
My question is: Has anyone else had a miscarriage they believe to be Lyme related? Not that i'm 100% convinced mine was Lyme related..but its a pretty logical explanation. If so...do you think repeated miscarriages are likely for us? Has anyone here with lyme had a non complicated pregnancy and delivery or know someone who has?
Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Hi FloridaLymie, I am soooo sorry to hear of your loss.
I got pregnant and at that time did not know what I had. I had no idea about what lyme was then either. I gained weight and hemorraged for 6 months. Then when I found out I was pregnant I miscarried. It was heart breaking.
I didn't try to get pregnant again. I was too sick to even think about it.
I have read of many that have babies but I see that many see Lyme docs and are put on antibiotics that the babies can handle. I know someone that has had 3 babies, and they have had complications either at birth or now.
And I have read of many like you and me.
I guess it all boils down to each individuals body.
Possibly would be informative if you read up on Lyme and pregnanies, or syphilis and pregnancies. Beings syphilis and lyme are in the same family.
Once again I am so sorry for your loss.
I hope you get on the proper treatment and get better.
I am very grateful to have a fabulous LLMD and today their office called back and I spoke to them regarding pregnancy and they said they have had many Lyme patients carry full term healthy babies and a lot who carried full term babies who were treated with ABX after birth due to Lyme and they were treated successfully. I guess it's all about waiting for when I am healthy enough and conceiving at that time. This last pregnancy (nor my first successful pregnancy pre lyme) were planned, but it looks like if we want to try for another we will actually need to plan it out and make sure we do not just let nature decide when to let it happen.