It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

kayakon HB User
Take Probiotic while taking Antibiotic?

I just got diagnosed with Lyme a few days ago and have been on docycycline for 4 days. I am concerned about wiping out my gut flora. Should I take a probiotic or it that futile since the antibiotic will kill
them also?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Take Probiotic while taking Antibiotic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakon View Post
I just got diagnosed with Lyme a few days ago and have been on docycycline for 4 days. I am concerned about wiping out my gut flora. Should I take a probiotic or it that futile since the antibiotic will kill
them also?
There are two camps on this question - one thinks the probiotics will do good even with abx, the other camp thinks you should wait until you've completely finished abx. With Lyme, if you are doing abx treatment, you could be waiting for years before you completed treatment, so, yes, you should definitely start probiotics. Kefir is another excellent way of getting them. You could do both - supplements and kefir - to give your gut the extra boost. Those who don't do the probiotics tend to end up with Candida and other problems.

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 10-06-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

kayakon HB User

Thanks Jen ! I'll take a probiotic and drink kefir. (I love kefir anyway.. I make it with goat milk !)
I am awaiting the Western blot lab results now for (relative) confirmation of Lyme and hope so much that I have caught this disease early. I think I got it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Symptoms started with a small and itchy rash on my neck then. Last Tues. it got much worse and my neck got stiff and puffy too up to my ear and I couldn't open my mouth all the way. A trip to the ER gave me a prelim. Dx. I'm seeing a Lyme literate chiropractor next week in VT where I live that wants to work on my immune response so that it doesn't get overactive. (Attacking the bacteria is already happening bc I'm taking doxycycline.) He spoke to me about T regulatory cells which are a part of the immune system.
Anyway, I am wondering just how long I've had it and if I have a chance of nipping it now with aggressive treatment.
Also, is 3 weeks of doxy for first symptoms long enough? I have no joint or neurological symptoms. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Jen ! I'll take a probiotic and drink kefir. (I love kefir anyway.. I make it with goat milk !)
I am awaiting the Western blot lab results now for (relative) confirmation of Lyme and hope so much that I have caught this disease early. I think I got it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Symptoms started with a small and itchy rash on my neck then. Last Tues. it got much worse and my neck got stiff and puffy too up to my ear and I couldn't open my mouth all the way. A trip to the ER gave me a prelim. Dx. I'm seeing a Lyme literate chiropractor next week in VT where I live that wants to work on my immune response so that it doesn't get overactive. (Attacking the bacteria is already happening bc I'm taking doxycycline.) He spoke to me about T regulatory cells which are a part of the immune system.
Anyway, I am wondering just how long I've had it and if I have a chance of nipping it now with aggressive treatment.
Also, is 3 weeks of doxy for first symptoms long enough? I have no joint or neurological symptoms. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Not if you have lyme! An LLMD would know this. Just please be sure that you are seeing a bona fide LLMD. I've never heard of a chiropractor LLMD. This doesn't mean he isn't legit. but if you have a choice I would go with the MD. Many docs and such say that they specialize in Lyme but too often they really do not know how to properly diagnose or treat. I hope your guy isn't one of them. It's great that you caught this early. Don't forget about detoxing.

Jen

Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
(female)

layla1956 HB User

I am newly diagnosed too and it was suggested to me to take the probiotics so I did. I am 2 weeks into the treatment and I usually have issues with ABX but so far with the probiotics I have none. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
antibiotic