It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

Lizalu HB User
Neurotransmitter results-BAD

Hello everyone...happy Black Friday. I am researching today my neurotransmitter results and am at a loss. My LLND ordered the test through Neuroscience Inc. and gave me the results over the phone just before Thanksgiving. And i've been freaking out trying to figure out what to do....until she calls me next week with supplement advice. 4 of my neurotransmitters are high. All the literature out there suggest medicine for low levels, but mine are just the opposite.

High Serotonin (unexpected)
High Dopamine (unexpected)
High Cortisol (expected)
High Melatonin (unexpected)

I am not on SSRI's, SNRI's although i have taken them for years, on and off. MY LLND didn't know off hand what to prescribe it sounds like she's doing research this weekend too. My therapist has no clue about neurotransmitters, but she's going to talk with a friend whom is psychiatrist.

I guess the point is for me, is knowing that high levels of these can cause as much problem as low. The information i have found online is that in order to LOWER levels of serotonin and dopamine, you need to take anti-psychotics.
I know lyme can drive us crazy, but this really is crazy.

Any experience, advice? Thanks in advance from one freaking out lady.

Lizalu

Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

Lizalu HB User
Re: Neurotransmitter results-BAD

Btw--it's important to note that i am taking flagyl and rifampin as treatment currently. Chronic lyme treatment for past 5 years. I just am reading about serotonin syndrome and I found today in some pretty limited studies that lots of supplments, OTC cold medicines, exercise (which i can't do--feel like going to pass out), coffee, sugar, etc and antibiotics in some cases raise serotonin levels.

Going to keep fighting the infections, of that there is no doubt. But i do need relief from anxiety, stress, insomnia, seizure-like problems, panic attacks, and maybe this will flush out with time during abx treatment.

Really don't want to go on anti-psychotic meds but i have no quality of life, so need supplementation of some sort. Maybe i can sweat/sauna out the imbalance along with the infections? LOL who knows...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi,

Likely you are taking (or have taken) something causing these levels to rise. Since your current doc seems uninformed about this would you consider getting a second opinion? I think a holistic MD or good naturopath would be more helpful. If I were you, I would trust your instincts about foregoing anti-pychotic durgs, (which doesn't really sound right nor the right treatment option for a lyme patient).

I've had many tests through NeuroScience for cortisol, adrenal, etc. levels. My experience is that they always include suggestions for treatment, which my Holistic MD then discusses with me. I doubt they would suggest an anti psychotic drug as all their products are in the alternative field of potions. In this regard, there is certainly help for insommnia, anxiety and the other symptoms you are experiencing. You just need the right practitioner. Just my opinion, of course.

Jen

Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

Lizalu HB User

Thank you Jen for your input! Yeah, I was just cycling through the research online about treatment to lower neurotransmitter levels, and it scared the bejesus out of me! There is very limited research on that except to treat pharmaceutically. I'm so not interested in that anymore!

My doctor is a LLMD who practices holistic and naturopathically. She doesn't even prescribe SSRI's or anything like that. I'm in the right place (doctor-wise) but she said she would have to look around locally for the right medicine.

Interestingly enough, i think i've become hypomanic and depressed from lyme with problems with impulse control and stress (which fits with the high levels of serotonin, dopamine, and cortisol). I researched high melatonin levels because i haven't slept good in years. The only research i found was that patients with CFS have significantly higher levels of melatonin.

I know not everyone believes in neurotransmitter testing (and most doctors), but i think this is a piece of the lyme jigsaw puzzle. I will be glad to know what my LLND will prescribe so i can get some relief!!! Oh happy day....

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizalu View Post
Interestingly enough, i think i've become hypomanic and depressed from lyme with problems with impulse control and stress (which fits with the high levels of serotonin, dopamine, and cortisol). I researched high melatonin levels because i haven't slept good in years. The only research i found was that patients with CFS have significantly higher levels of melatonin. y....
Just some suggestions, if interested, or your LLMD concurs. I've heard that Lithium Orotate has helped many lymies with depression. L'Ornithine and KmagKg (source naturals) works well for stress, anxiety, lyme rage. I have used the KmagKg with good results.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
Lizalu (11-25-2012)
Closed Thread