It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

JEliz2 HB User
Spinal tap to diagnose lyme disease

Hi,

Does anyone know how reliable a spinal tap is in diagnosing lyme disease? (The doctor I was recommended to said its reliable but this seems different than what a lot of people have been saying. She's sending the results to Quest Diagnostics which I've also heard was very unreliable (but which she said was great). Not sure what other tests to do though - I've already had an Elisa and Western Blot test done at Quest which came back negative (except for one band on the Western Blot).

The Dr. said that Lyme disease is unlikely even though I have the symptoms (swollen painful knees, neck stiffness, blurry vision, neuropathy, lower back pain, and forgetfulness/memory issues) because it is rare to have both tests come back negative. I thought lyme disease was diagnosed mainly through the symptoms through. Does anyone know whether being on antibiotics of any kind around the time of having lyme blood tests done could affect their outcome? Thanks, I'm really hoping to avoid a spinal tap since I've already had to have a Blood Patch surgery to repair a lumbar puncture from an epidural.

- Jocelyn

Last edited by Administrator; 05-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

JEliz2 HB User
Re: Spinal tap to diagnose lyme disease

What's so frustrating is that she is an LLMD. Haven't been able to find another.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Jeliz2

You must get your blood tested at Igenix.

Your symptoms sound like lyme.

Hope this helps.

laLa

Last edited by moderator2; 05-28-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

JEliz2 HB User

- Thanks LaLa. That is very helpful.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-28-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
(male)

metalrocker HB User

Spinal Tap is only %20 chance of finding lyme, but when it's found it's %100.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Any doc that claims they are a LLMD and recommends a spinal tap to detect lyme. You had better RUN the other way. That is the worse thing to do for those of us with lyme.

Before I knew better I had one done. and was laid up for a very long time with a worse headache!

Search out someone else to go to. Any doctor that signs off lab slips from Igenex will do. But seeing a "true" LLMD they will go on symptoms. Testing for lyme is inaccurate. No matter what lab. Igenex is suppose to be the best. But even then can have negative results.

Spend the money and see a doc that deals with lyme and co-infections. It could save your life, and health.

Jodie

Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
(male)

guido15241 HB User

Don't do the spinal tap and speaking from personal experience, . they are unreliable. There is risk involved as well.

Go with Igenex.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
(female)

Springshower HB User

my daughter also just refused a second spinal tap based on the low percentage of positive results. She does have a positive test from Igenex (many bands), the conventional medical practitioners are trying to "prove" it's a false positive with a spinal tap despite the symptom history. They unduly place a lot of weight on the CDC negative neglecting to acknowledge CDC's outdated conservative testing or allowing the opportunity to explore patient questions regarding this. Symptom history and clinical expertise should inform the dx ...

Reply Reply