It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
(male)

Frizzen HB User
New to the "Lymelight"

Hello all...I am just completing the second two weeks of doxecycline 100mg 2Xday. I thought it was working a couple of weeks ago and the symptoms had almost completely abated. Then, last Friday it started back up again...My symptoms are extreme fatigue/weakness, pain in the knees, feeling like there is an internal tremor to the point that I feel like I could have a seizure, severe ringing in the ears and muscle aches. There is also some depression but I think its related to being sick. I also have some dizziness and feeling like my ears and head are stuffed up as well as some difficulty focusing...Whew, sounds like I'm falling apart!

Does this seem like typical Lyme symptoms?...I started out about three months ago feeling like I had flu but there was no fever. Went to my FP and he found swollen lymph nodes and some swelling in inner ear. He thought it was "just a virus" and no treatment was suggested...I went back two weeks later and the "flu" symptoms had morphed into the other things I mentioned. The weakness was even more severe to the point of feeling faint at times...He asked me if I had been bitten by any insects. I told him not that I could remember. Blood tests(not for lyme) were done and all came back normal.

I continued to feel worse and then one day I noticed what at first looked like a bruise on my right wrist...After a day or two it became a small ring shape with a small red spot in the middle...Looked like a little bullseye(aha). I went back again and showed it to him and he immediately thought I have Lyme and started my on the doxecycline.

I continued to have off and on symptoms and he continued me with same for another two weeks ending tomorrow...The past month, it has been a pattern of some days of feeling nearly fine and some of regressing back to as sick as ever. Its very frustrating...I can find no LLMD's anywhere my home area...So, whats next?

Initially, I was skeptical it is Lyme but it seems to match with symptoms. I don't remember any ticks but I do spend time in woods and woodsy parks when the weather is nice. I USED to be very active...

So, do these symptoms seem to be common? The bullseye lesion appearing so long after feeling sick seems unusual?...Any advice? There is so much on the internet that its very confusing...Thanks for reading all this. Any information, advice or reassurance would be appreciated...Frizz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

QuazBot HB User
Exclamation Re: New to the "Lymelight"

My husband was "diagnosed" with Lyme Disease Monday, July 1st. He didn't see the tick either, but had the "Bulls-Eye" and a bruise around 1 tick bite in particular (he had about 10 or so total). I put diagnosed in quotations, because the Dr. at the ER said he is showing all the signs, but, until the blood test(s) come back for confirmation, an absolute diagnoses isn't something he could give.

He was given medication that, I think, he has to take for 3 weeks, he also has to go in for evaluation or tests or something at some point as well. He's also mentioned something about possibly having to go to UVA (as we are located in Virginia) for another 6 months after (once a month or something, at this point, I know very little as to treatment(s)).

From what I've read, and what he's told me of how he feels (as well as other's he has talked to who have had it), Lyme Disease is very much like Rheumatoid Arthritis. It causes a lot of inflammation and, according to what I've read, can also have psychological effects as well. He has a lot of headaches, weakness, and pain!

From what you've posted, it sounds very much like Lyme Disease! Has the Dr. sent blood for testing? Is it a definite diagnoses or a diagnoses like my husband is currently under, at present? Has the Dr. given you any kind of information about Lyme Disease (My husband came home with a print out of the stages and other information about it)?

My advice would be to get an absolute diagnoses and follow treatment completely! Lyme Disease will, if left untreated, continue, worsen, and cause inflammation and issues throughout one's entire body, inflammation of or around the heart (muscle) is one that has stayed in my mind. According to someone his family knows, the disease had nearly killed someone the person knows.

If the Dr. you are working with isn't very familiar with treating Lyme Disease, discuss with him/her options and Dr.'s who are!! My husband knows a number of people (he's military) who have had it (our dog has even had it!), and I'm only aware of one person who may be having complications because of it due to not following through with the entire treatment process (whether unknowingly or not, I'm not sure).

I don't want to sound all alarmist or anything (despite the fact that I'm kinda freaking out myself), as it seems like it is treatable and, hopefully, not a life long concern, but that's if it is treated correctly.

Please don't hesitate to reply if you want/need!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
(male)

Frizzen HB User
Re: New to the "Lymelight"

Thank you for your reply. I live in Virginia Beach. My doctor doesn't seem to be a Lyme expert and didn't give me much info. After a couple visits that produced no results, the bullseye mark convinced him it was Lyme...And also, I told him I thought it seemed to fit. He told me the tests weren't reliable at early stage and began treatment with Doxecycline. I have now finished four weeks of that. The symptoms come and go...Fortunately or unfortunately, I am already on disability from a stroke a few years ago. I am too tired and shaky to do much of anything frequently. I would seek a doctor who is knowledgeble about treating Lyme, perhaps a LLMD but there aren't any closer than the DC/NE Maryland area and that is too far for me...I just had a blood draw and several tests for other causes but no specific test for Lyme...The tests I just had came back normal...I am afraid that the diagnosis was too late and it went to intermediate stage. I am hopeful that it is post treatment syndrome because its supposed to run its course eventually...Thanks

Reply Reply