It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Ispot Lyme test by neuroscience

Hi all,
anyone been tested through them for Lyme?
If so was it comparable to Igenex?

Thank you,

Jodie

Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
Re: Ispot Lyme test by neuroscience

Hi Jodie!

I actually had this test done last November. My holistic doc uses NeuroScience lab so she wanted to send blood to them as well. Mine came back "Negative". I always test positive through Igenex but my last test with Igenex (also last year) was negative. Does this mean I no longer have LD? I don't think so but I'd be jumping for joy if this was accurate. I need to get tested again at Igenex and will probably do so in a few months. I'm definitely much, much better but still have some joint and balance issues. I also notice on the report that I have many IGg bands that are reactive (positive) so I don't know how they come up with their calculations. It seems to me this would be "positive" according to Igenex but maybe not through CDC.

It says on my lab report from Neuroscience "this test is only for research and not for clinical diagnosis". It also says "ispot lyme has not been evaluated in patients who have received less than one month of lyme disease therapy." I never did abx and at the time of this test was not doing salt/C either.

If you decide to get tested please let me know your results.

Tess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Tess...thank you for your response. One of my doctors patients sent him the info on neuroscience testing. Claiming it was better than the other lab. I know what I've got and so does he. But wanted to use me as a guinea pig. I'll only do it if the insurance I have covers it. We all know that IF we are displaying symptoms then we still have it.

My doctors office believes we "never" get rid of it. And the co-infections. I am living proof we don't.

Thank you for your input!

Jodie

Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Right, this was explained to me as research by NeuroScience and I was charged nothing. My doc just participated in the project with her lyme patients. I, too, believe that once we get to chronic, late-stage the infection is always with us. I'm just happy I'm doing better on some fronts but I always have to be careful and I'm back with my S/C maintenance dose. I have never stopped all my other supplements, and never will, as I think this is what keeps me functioning.

I still think Igenex is the premier lab.

Tess

Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tess, I am with you on keeping up doing the supplements. And I am always looking for new things to do. Do what ever it takes to stay above ground.

Thank you so much for all your input . I will pass this info on to my doc.

Take care!

Jodie

Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

applewine HB User

The idea that you never get rid of it is pretty ridiculous because we can't prove we have it and nobody is looking for a cure, so of course that is going to be the result.

We need a test that can prove this is the cause if it is, only then will efforts be directed to a cure or a cure can even be developed. Endless antibiotics when we can't prove the infection or cure it is of little use.

Hopefully the antigens tests coming out this summer and next year will provide some more clarity to this issue.

Last edited by applewine; 05-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi applewine, can you refresh my memory on what the test is that is coming out soon? I think I read about it a few months back.

Thank you!

Jodie

Old 05-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applewine View Post
Endless antibiotics when we can't prove the infection or cure it is of little use.
applewine,

I think abx is not only useful but most often can irradicate the infection IF . . . it is started immediately after the bite (within the first month). After that, the spirochetes have a heyday replicating and moving from the blood into the tissues. So I agree with you, endless abx at this point can set up a host of other problems, which is one of the reasons I chose not to do them.

I think if one tests positive for LD, through any lab, then they are positive. The frustration lies for the great many people who do not test positive but are symptomatic. If the test you allude to can provide clarification on this then I think we're all ears.

Tess

Old 05-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

applewine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Hi applewine, can you refresh my memory on what the test is that is coming out soon? I think I read about it a few months back.

Thank you!

Jodie

Jojo,

It is the nano-trap antigen test that is supposed to come out this summer. This test is looking for antigens (ospA only in 2014). These are what is shed from the bacteria if they are present.

Antigens should be ideal because they can only appear from the bacteria. Antibodies can be cross-reactive or exist when there is no infection or raise more questions about how many are needed.

You can find more by doing a web search for nano-trap antigen and you will find who makes it and news articles about it in the last year.

It was developed from technology at George Mason University in Virginia from a state bill.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

applewine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess201 View Post
applewine,

I think abx is not only useful but most often can irradicate the infection IF . . . it is started immediately after the bite (within the first month). After that, the spirochetes have a heyday replicating and moving from the blood into the tissues. So I agree with you, endless abx at this point can set up a host of other problems, which is one of the reasons I chose not to do them.

I think if one tests positive for LD, through any lab, then they are positive. The frustration lies for the great many people who do not test positive but are symptomatic. If the test you allude to can provide clarification on this then I think we're all ears.

Tess
Tess,

Interesting, so you decided to do the same thing as me maybe? I did try multi-antibiotic treatment for 6 months from the LLMD referal at the lyme disease org after having symptoms for years, but I only developed a neurological symptom as a result and it did not fix my TMJ dysfunction or chronic muscle pain.

I now get paresthesias all over my body that feel like cold water, burning or stinging. I've had them for 4 years since stopping the antibiotics. They seem to calm down slowly over 18 months, but have flared up to original strength twice after an upper respiratory infection.

Did you try treatment at all at any point? You seem to be the only other person I've heard of who doesn't want to do treatment.

I'm now waiting for more tests like the nano-trap antigen test to be more sure and hopefully let the science catch up with diagnosis and a cure before I try something again.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

applewine HB User

I remember hearing about the iSpot test a few years ago. I just recently looked into again and watched a video on it. Apparently it is based on some technology that is used for the FDA approved test for TB, but maybe takes it a step further and also of course switches it to lyme disease.

I don't think the Lyme test is FDA approve though for whatever reason. I also remember the video saying it was 80% specific, but you will have to check that.

If it is only 80% specific I'm waiting for a much better test. For me in technology if something is depending on your life we talk about the number of trailing 9's.

So for example you START with 99.9% reliability and work toward 99.999% with increased cost to get there.

So all these medical old and even new tests for Lyme disease which are highly unreliable are ridiculous to me. You would ideally have at least 99.9% reliability.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by applewine View Post
Tess,

Interesting, so you decided to do the same thing as me maybe? I did try multi-antibiotic treatment for 6 months from the LLMD referal at the lyme disease org after having symptoms for years, but I only developed a neurological symptom as a result and it did not fix my TMJ dysfunction or chronic muscle pain.
Did you try treatment at all at any point? You seem to be the only other person I've heard of who doesn't want to do treatment.
applewine,

I absolutely did treatment - salt/C and heavy detoxing! A great many other people have also followed this protocol with success. There are other alternative choices as well, but you have to do something to kill the bugs! I just chose not to do abx as I have never been into medications and such, always preferring the alternative route for health and well-being.

Your symptoms will only worsen if you wait for testing to begin tx. Really!

You say you tried abx for 6 months and your condition worsened. First, 6 months is not nearly long enough if you've been infected for awhile. Secondly, you may have been herxing (feeling ill from die-off) that is not a time to stop tx. You really have to try to push through those herxes.

If you haven't already, do a lot of research and you will see that there are many choices for treating lyme alterntively if you rather not return to abx, but I hope you will seriously consider doing something.

All the best with this,

Tess

Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Applewine for the info. I guess we will all see if this will be more reliable or not as time goes on. Hope it is!

I did western med and alternative to get where I am today. While you are waiting for a "hopefully" better test. Like Tess was saying, there are many alternative treatments out there. What works for one person may not work for another. Just like western med.

I am in agreement that 6 months is not long enough. With any treatment one must continually mix the protocols around.

We all become a Pandora's box and we need to unravel all the other problems that come along with Borrelia. Such as parasites, heavy metals, co-infections such as Mycoplasma, Epstein Barr, Cytomeglovirus, Babesia, Bartonella and others. ect ect.

Going to a good LLMD will help get you started. A LLMD will go on symptoms and not solely on a test.

In my own opinion, there will be no so called "cure" for any of this. We are money makers for the system. Borrelia and many of the others are being used for bio germ warfare. No getting around these things. All any of us can do is to keep learning and trying different protocols to keep us up on our feet.

Thank you for the info on the test, I pray you are right on this!

Good luck to you hope you find things that work for you.

Jodie

Reply Reply