It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Lady221 HB User
Does this sound like lymphedema?

Back in 2005 I started getting swelling in my left ankle, top of my foot and toes. I had an ultrasound and they found no clotting and it eventually went away. Then in 2009 it came back and pretty much stayed. I've had multiple ultrasounds to check blood flow, clots etc. and everything is fine. The Dr suggested it's possibly lymphedema. I swell up more when I'm sitting and it's not so bad when I do a lot of walking. It also feels much better when it's cooler outside (no humidity) I've never had cancer or an injury so I just don't get it. I'm on 40mg Lasix but don't see much of a change if I take it or not. Is this lymphedema or just edema? I am overweight and I'm diabetic.
Thanks for any help.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

troads HB User
Re: Does this sound like lymphedema?

I would suggest go see a kidney doctor or pathologist. I just recently in Feb 2012 started to get swelling and when I first saw a pathologist for possible cancer because I had some swollen lymph nodes (which it wasnt) he suggested a kidney doctor and sure enough its related to my kindeys. From what I get so far with this swelling is that especially if its edem meaning if you push slightly hard near the center of your leg near were the bone is on the top and you have an indent it is edema (or pitting edema). But your kidenys are not pulling the fuilds out like they should and its just staying inside the body and whereever gravity pulls it is were you will see thw swelling. Hope this helps, but I still would go to a kidney doctor (I see a nephrologist/internist). Especially if you are diebetic thats related to the kidneys.

Last edited by troads; 05-06-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: reconfirming

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

CC1596 HB User

I'm so happy I found this posting after such a long time of unanswered questions.

I too an experiencing unknown swelling, however in my right foot, for approximately 6 weeks now with no sign of relief or answers. I've seen several doctors, received an X-ray, Doppler scan, wore a walking boot for 4 weeks and NADA! Nothing has changed, nothing has improved and it has begun to worry me greatly. I recently got my blood tested but will be receiving the results in 10 days. They are checking for a number of things, mostly hypothyroidism, anemia, cholesterol...etc.

No form of treatment has been helping the situation, such as ice, compression. elevation...etc. and I feel as though I am at my breaking point. I am 22 years old, in relatively good health and my blood pressure is optimal.

Have you received any answers thus far? Any support from other doctors. Any thing you can possibly offer to help put my mind at ease will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, and good luck!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1596 View Post
I'm so happy I found this posting after such a long time of unanswered questions.

I too an experiencing unknown swelling, however in my right foot, for approximately 6 weeks now with no sign of relief or answers. I've seen several doctors, received an X-ray, Doppler scan, wore a walking boot for 4 weeks and NADA! Nothing has changed, nothing has improved and it has begun to worry me greatly. I recently got my blood tested but will be receiving the results in 10 days. They are checking for a number of things, mostly hypothyroidism, anemia, cholesterol...etc.

No form of treatment has been helping the situation, such as ice, compression. elevation...etc. and I feel as though I am at my breaking point. I am 22 years old, in relatively good health and my blood pressure is optimal.

Have you received any answers thus far? Any support from other doctors. Any thing you can possibly offer to help put my mind at ease will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, and good luck!
I sure hope you can get some answers. I still have a swollen top of foot and toes. BUT I have also just found out I am hypothyroid. I just started treatment (one month now) and my swelling is starting to go down just a little. I know that I will be given a higher dose of thyroid soon and I'm hoping this is the answer. Please post if you get any answers about hypothyroidism. I think this has been my problem all along. Good luck to you and all the best!

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/504453-swollen-feet-ankles.html

Last edited by Lady221; 04-27-2013 at 12:28 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady221 For This Useful Post:
CC1596 (05-13-2013)
Reply Reply