It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User
Large elephant-like swollen leg after surgery.

I have had lymphedema in both legs for a long time which ususally is under control. I had a TKR 9 days ago and have had no problems. I elevate my legs when in bed and the good leg does not look edematous in any way. However my entire left leg is huge. I have no pain, the incision looks good with no redness other than brusing. I do not run a fever nor do I have pain except at night while sleeping. I have had a doplar scanning and it was negative. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited by SREIM; 01-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Large elephant-like swollen leg after surgery.

I am no help to you but am interested. I have previously posted on the knee site asking if there was anyone who had TKR on a lymphedemous leg but there was nil response so I assume that it is unusual. May I ask please.....were you given a course of antibiotics before surgery? Were there any particular pointers you were given other than the usual TKR info?
A friend had a TKR 10 weeks ago. [no lymph problem] Her leg is still very swollen though movement etc fine and surgeon said that's normal and can take months to go down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

Cejayb,

My TKR was a quickie because after 18 months of trying to get the swelling down, and after numerous tests the window of opportunity came so we quickly went into surgery with no antibiotics ahead of time but I did have 2 bags after surgery and the surgeon injected some within the wound its self.

I wasn't given any pointers ahead of time but I had been going to physical therapy for "wraps" and my "wraps" person admitted all things were a "go" from his standpoint. Also I had no infections at the time but I was anemic and the doctor decided to go ahead as blood could be given in which it was by 2 units.

Now, on the other side, I am back at the "wraps" again and my wraps guy said he has seen several cases where by TKR persons have had the edemetous leg afterwards where by they did not have it before. He said he asked several doctors why this could be and they had no answers.

I had severe edema in both legs before surgery and now it's in only one. The good leg looks like a normal leg for the first time in I don't know how long. I am sure it will not stay that way but I will try to stay on top of it.

If anyone reading this wonders what it is like to have such surgery. For me it was a "piece of cake." I had so much pain before the surgery that after the surgery the pain was different and nothing at all like it was before. I would say not to fear a TKR but to know that you will be relieved of the prior pain and the little pain after surgery can be controlled with medicines.

Edematous swelling afterwards is rare and since I have had it before hand for years I will continue to have it and all I can do is to keep it under control with my "wraps." The bad part is I can't wear shoes to well. I did find a pr of mens shoes at the diabetic center that work well but they look awful. Another bad part is that I feel the need to wear slacks all the time to cover my wraps. Short skirts for me are out.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Just checking in to see how you are getting on? Hope that all is going well.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you for asking. I had TKR on Jan 4th, 012 then my operative leg swelled up quite large but now in the last few days the leg has deminished in size by quite a bit. It has taken 6 weeks to bring it down but in the mean time I have had both legs wrapped with edema wraps. Now I am back in my 40-50 compression hose and I am quite comfortable. However my operative knee is huge. It is hard to walk as it bumps into the other leg. Try standing on a bathroom scale with both legs together. It is hard to do. I hope all is well with you. I feel much better now than I did before surgery. The pain now is minimal to what it was before. SREIM

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

What is TKR? Does it have to do with the knee? Deb

Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

I have that problem getting on the bathroom scale. Both of my knee's are so large on the inward side.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

I just wear the thicker type spandex pants. That is what keeps the compression hosiery in place and I'm most comfortable in. I feel more put together. Deb

Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
(female)

Total Knee Replacement. No problem when on an uneffected knee.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
(female)

Cammyo HB User

I had both my knees replaced; the right one in October of 1999 & the left one in February of 2000. My legs slowly started swelling until I finally sought medical attention about 3 yrs. ago and found out I have lymphedema. My right leg is worse than my left & I have had several boughts of cellulitis resulting in hospitalizations. I was wondering if anyone having had lymphedema has ever had it resolve after years of having had it? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
(female)

Cammyo HB User
Smile Re: Large elephant-like swollen leg after surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejayb View Post
I am no help to you but am interested. I have previously posted on the knee site asking if there was anyone who had TKR on a lymphedemous leg but there was nil response so I assume that it is unusual. May I ask please.....were you given a course of antibiotics before surgery? Were there any particular pointers you were given other than the usual TKR info?
A friend had a TKR 10 weeks ago. [no lymph problem] Her leg is still very swollen though movement etc fine and surgeon said that's normal and can take months to go down.
hi cejayb, yes I was given antibiotics prior to surgery, Ancef I think but it has been a long time, so I'm not quite sure. No particular pointers. I had a CPM, continuous passive motion machine after surgery and for 3 days after that, then started physical therapy. I did not have lymphedema before I had my TKRs. As far as your friend being told it can take months to go down, I hope her swelling does go down. My surgeries were over 10 yrs. ago. I don't see any resolve in my future. There is a lot of help out there for people with lymphedema, but it is temporary at best. No matter what I do, my legs are swollen as usual and I have done and used a lot of remedies. Good luck to your friend and to you.

Reply Reply