It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
Can someones leg explode from chronic cellulites?

I have a friend who I watch over, he has been suffering with very swollen, irritated lower legs for years. It has been diagnosed as cellulites, but is has only gotten worse. By today, it was violently red, terribly swollen and appeared to be ready to burst. My concern is him bumping his shin, and the whole things breaking open. I can just see this turning into a vast infection very quickly.

Am I on target? Thank you/

Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
(female)

Cindi W HB User
Re: Can someones leg explode from chronic cellulites?

I have a friend with a similar problem. Yes, it can turn into a life-threatening situation very quickly, so if something happens that causes the leg to get more irritated than usual, quick action is necessary. By that I mean an emergency center, where most likely they will prescribe a powerful antibiotic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
(male)

dan75 HB User

Cellulitis is a skin infection that can make swelling worse as the body sends infection-fighting cells to the area via the blood. As extra blood is sent to the area, extra fluid is deposited in the already swollen area.

To answer your question, I do not believe his leg will explode, but as the skin gets stretched, it does weaken and can tear more easily. If he has lymphedema, sometimes the legs can become so congested, it's easier for the fluid to come out of the pores of the skin than it is to go up the legs. If his legs weep fluid for too long, this can lead to skin breakdown as it gets macerated.

The more urgent concern is that the infection may spread and become septic, which can be deadly. He should see a doctor about it quickly.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

2114bella HB User

dan75, I don't have lympedema. What I do have is induced fat caused by steroids, to treat inflammation of the piriformis muscle hence<> (piriformis syndrome). What I found interesting was your post replying to "CAN SOMEONE LEG EXPLODE FROM CELLULITE?.

With the accumulation of fat also, caused me supracalvical fat, humpback, neck, midsection, legs, skin problems, knees etc. swelling/fat...but isn't fluid...just 'FAT'.plus a entire host of other problems.

What I worries me right now is...can swelling for any reason cause the leg to explode or rupture.? without having fluid?. My leg, the swelled area is also red in color, and has appeared blueish at times (is it true blueish discoloration of the skin 'is a lack of oxygen'.

I am scared the redness is a sign of infection....but it has been red since 2009, but presently covers a wider area of the leg, 'calf to ankle'. In 09' my pcp said it wasn't infected. I guess my question is, would fluid and fat have the same results/damages to the leg if it should crack open.?.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Reply