It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 06:35 PM   #1

please911 HB User
Post ????Do I have Lymphoma

My 12 year old son who is almost turning 13 has a swollen lymph node in his grown area ever since he had mono. Our main doctor said that it was nothing to worry about and it would go away. Now it has been a year and it is still swollen. We asked another doctor and the other doctor said the same thing. Should I be worried? What Should I do or Think? Please help

Thanks

Old 12-03-2003, 08:16 PM   #2

zippoo HB User
Re: ????Do I have Lymphoma

i have mono and got swollen lympth nodes everywhere. had them for 2 months now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 03:28 AM   #3

momswann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by please911
My 12 year old son who is almost turning 13 has a swollen lymph node in his grown area ever since he had mono. Our main doctor said that it was nothing to worry about and it would go away. Now it has been a year and it is still swollen. We asked another doctor and the other doctor said the same thing. Should I be worried? What Should I do or Think? Please help

Thanks

My understanding is that if the node hasn't changed size for a long time, it is usually fine. My ent has told me that a node can become enlarged, then just never reduce...ever. That this is ok, again, as long as it doesn't change.

Jamie

Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #4

gal07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momswann
My understanding is that if the node hasn't changed size for a long time, it is usually fine. My ent has told me that a node can become enlarged, then just never reduce...ever. That this is ok, again, as long as it doesn't change.

Jamie

The doctor i saw told me the same thing. He said that sometimes after and infection, the node may not go down to the same size.

Gal07

Old 12-04-2003, 09:24 PM   #5

bellacjl HB User

What exactly is meant by changing in size? Does this include going down and then swelling back up again in a couple of weeks? That is what mine have been doing. It seems like I'm getting better and then my throat, tonsils and lymph nodes will all swell up again. Im getting frustrated as nothing seems to be helping.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #6

gal07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacjl
What exactly is meant by changing in size? Does this include going down and then swelling back up again in a couple of weeks? That is what mine have been doing. It seems like I'm getting better and then my throat, tonsils and lymph nodes will all swell up again. Im getting frustrated as nothing seems to be helping.

Mine does not change size, only if i have a flu. I guess it depends on how often the swelling is. You should just have it checked by your doctor. I've seen 4 doctors and they say mine is non-significant. So at least get them to check it out.

Gal07

Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #7

-tracy- HB User

Quote:
[COLOR=Magenta]If lymph nodes swell and then shrink it appears to be due to an infection which we may not even know we have. Our lymph nodes swell up daily in order to prevent us from getting sick. It swells up when there are foriegn substances in our body. For example, if you shave or use cosmetics including deodorant lymph nodes may swell and then shrink once it rids itself of harmful substances. They can also swell up if you get a small scratch even if it doesn't bother you. However, its always best to get a doctor to check it out just to be sure.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #8

Blessed1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by please911

Thanks
I read your post this evening. I'm a survior of Hodgeskins Disease which is Cancer of the lympthnoids. I have been in remision for 20 yrs. now. The purpose for lympthnoids you may or may not know is to fight off infection. One lymph is reason not to just ignore however it is not one to pose a real threat at this point. The main thing is to have his blood count checked at least every 6 months if not more. If your count is good, thats another good sign. However if the white is overpowering the red then action is neccessary imediately. Does your son have any signs of night sweats, loss of weight,fevers, etc. these are also outward indications that there is something wrong. I would suggest that you check also for the areas of lympth's, under his arms, check both sides of his neck, swollen puffy-tenderness in the stomach/spleen area. I'm not a doctor and can only advise you by my personal expieriece. If it continues to bother you and then ask your doctor for a Cat Scan. This is one of the first tests that may show if anything is actually happening. Another thing you could do is go to a Hemotologist/Onocolist. These are the experts in this area that will be able to advise you of all your options.
Good luck and God Bless.
Ron.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #9

Blessed1 HB User

This was a double entry in error

Last edited by Blessed1; 01-13-2004 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Entered twice by accident.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
You are describing some residual infection that your body is fighting. If it is causing a low grade fever of 99-100.5F or more over a day or two you might need to consult your physician. If you have more symptoms than this you need to be seen sooner. Good luck

Closed Thread