It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #1

lindaatl HB User
Lump above collar bone

I found a lump above my collar bone about 6 months ago. I went to my doctor and she sent me for a chest xray which was fine. Then when I had my physical she thought maybe it was just a blood vessel which seems weird. My white blood count came back high from the physical and I have had it rechecked 2 more times now. Anyways, now the "lump" above my collar bone is hurting really bad. Sore to the touch. Now I am really scared after reading stuff on Hodgkins and Non Hodgkins.... i have had itching on my arms and legs lately and now i am feverish. I am sorry that this is so lengthy but it seems a swollen gland above the collar bone is a lot of times Hodgkins, just wanting some input from someone who knows.
Thanks.
Linda

Old 03-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

gregv HB User
Re: Lump above collar bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaatl
I found a lump above my collar bone about 6 months ago. I went to my doctor and she sent me for a chest xray which was fine. Then when I had my physical she thought maybe it was just a blood vessel which seems weird. My white blood count came back high from the physical and I have had it rechecked 2 more times now. Anyways, now the "lump" above my collar bone is hurting really bad. Sore to the touch. Now I am really scared after reading stuff on Hodgkins and Non Hodgkins.... i have had itching on my arms and legs lately and now i am feverish. I am sorry that this is so lengthy but it seems a swollen gland above the collar bone is a lot of times Hodgkins, just wanting some input from someone who knows.
Thanks.
Linda
Hey there,

Well i think you are right in saying alot of times lumps above the collar bone can be worrisome, but this is certainly NOT always the case. I think that almost always the nodes that are cancerous will be not sore to the touch. Since yours is sore, this is a good sign and may be some type of infection. This may also be the reason that your WBC count is high. I am not sure if fever is a symptom of lymphoma, and again it is most likely a fever due some infection or flu. My friend had a huge lymph node swell up above her collarbone and the docs thought it was cancer, however after some further tests it turned out to be mono. I suggest you go to another doc to get this checked out. Tell him/her you are very worried. See if they can run some more tests to rule out lymphoma for sure and then maybe diagnose you with some infection. If you want to ask about mono, my friend said that her original mono test was negative, and it wasnt until further staining tests, etc. that they found it was mono. I am not sure what she meant by extra tests but you could also ask your doc about this. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
Inactive

pennymellor HB User

the lymph nodes in lymphoma are classically large, rubbery and non-tender
they can be painful after drinking alcohol
symptoms of lymphoma do include a periodic fever (Pel-Ebstein) and itchiness
if lymphoma is a serious possibility then a lymph node biopsy is the test to look for it

Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #4

lindaatl HB User

Well, it is no longer painful....i have had it 6 months and it has hurt 2 different times after drinking. they are going to do a CT scan on friday.

Closed Thread