It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #1

tex1033 HB User
What constitutes a swollen lymph node?

Quick question...

I have a little bump about the size of a small bean or tic tac on the back on the bottom of my neck. It's actually more like the back of my clavicle (is that right?). Just wondering if that would be considered a swollen lymph node? It's a little scary 'cause I can't find another on the other side....

Thanks =)

Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: What constitutes a swollen lymph node?

Lymphnodes have a specific pattern through out the body. There are pictures of the lymphnodes on the internet. If you plug in a body atlas and specific lymph system. Now to answer question:
A lymph node can be less than a milimeter or it can be larger than 3 centimeters. The size does not usually matter other than if it is larger by comparison than it used to be at another time. The job of the lymph node is to catch and filter bacteria out of the blood system and when it does its job properly, it swells for a while. Sometimes the node will eventually go back to original size (after a cold) or it will stay somewhat enlarged (mononucleosis). However, if the enlarged node is accompanied by ongoing symptoms of fever, night sweats, excess fatigue, chills or rash, that lasts more than 3 weeks then a doctor should be consulted. Not all lymph nodes that could be involved can be felt since some of them hang out in the body around the stomach pancreas spleen, etc. again, looking at a picture of the lymph system will help you get the idea. You should wait no longer than 6 weeks if you have any physical symptoms of illness, to go check with a doctor,.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread