It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 PM   #1

financekid HB User
Hard bump behind angle of jaw - new and scared!

hi all - i first noticed a hard bump behind the angle of my jaw bone on the right side of my face about 6-8 weeks ago. It has not gotten any larger or smaller since and it's not usually tender. Every now and then there is a minor, minor discomfort but it's never extremely tender to the touch (unless i poke at it incessantly) and it never stays for long. I tend to be a hypochondriac about it so i poke at it ALL THE TIME. I talked to a doc who was a family friend and he said stop reading the internet and it's most likely nothing to worry about.

I have an appointment with my GP next tuesday but am a nervous wreck. i'm 23 and am getting married in 2 weeks and have so much to look forward to. Unfortunately this thing is making me crazy.

I have no other symptoms that I know of. I'm 6' 1" 160lbs. so i'm fairly skinny and i seem to be able to feel anything in my neck if i try hard enough. Just today I noticed a minor dull ache in my right shoulder area. I don't know if it's related or not. I have bad posture and sit at a desk and work long days so who knows.

Does anyone know what this might be? When I prod at the lump, i feel something soft and gland-like move back and forth a little bit but underneath it seems to be really hard - no idea how big... maybe the size of a large pea?? It's not easy to find. I had my fiance feel it and I had to grab her hand and direct her exactly where to push and even then she had a hard time feeling it (she asked how in the world i find these things ). Nothing like it is present on the other side.

I'm worried sick! Please please please help if you have any info.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Hard bump behind angle of jaw - new and scared!

I am going to say that your doctor friend probably is correct.
I am going to suggest that the thought of having a strange unusual disease from a lump in your jaw, is probably easier to think about right now than the prospect of getting married and all the changes that will bring. I would suggest that you focus on resolving your anxieties because obsessing about a lump in your jaw is going to be unproductive in alleviating your anxieties.
Of course if the lump changes to the point you can "see" it rather than just feel it, you would need to have it checked out.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #3

financekid HB User
Re: Hard bump behind angle of jaw - new and scared!

thanks marimac - i hope you're right. i've never been such a paranoid freak as i am now. perhaps the emotions are running high and there's a lot on my mind.

thanks for such a quick reply!

Closed Thread