It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 02:51 PM   #1

nunez67 HB User
"Shotty" supraclavicular nodes

Hi, I'm new with a specific question about "shotty" supraclavicular nodes. Does anyone know if they are of concern?

I've read that nodes that feel like buckshot, hence the term "shotty", are usually reacting to a virus. But then I've read that palpable supraclavicular nodes are usually of concern b/c they can't be felt at all on most people. I am very thin, though, which may be why mine are palpable.

The reason I ask is because my GP has been able to feel my supraclavicular nodes for the last six months. I've had 2 rounds of normal blood work and 1 normal chest/abdominal/pelvic CT. I do have systemic symptoms of low-grade fever (on and off for a year), weight loss (50 lbs in 15 months, but I was trying to lose weight, and it's leveled off in the past 9 months), fatigue, and occasional mild night sweats. However, I think it's more likely that I'm fighting off viruses on a regular basis (I have small children) than it is that I have lymphoma.

However, my GP did recently send me to a surgeon to get the nodes biopsied. Much to my surprise when I got there, the surgeon said he couldn't feel any nodes, and therefore wouldn't biopsy anything. Since that appointment, however, I've been able to feel one small hard node on each side in the supraclavicular area, and I assume they represent "shotty" nodes. They feel like small beads.

I do have an appointment with a new GP tomorrow to have the nodes rechecked before I call the surgeon back to ask his opinion. I'm inclined to trust the surgeon's advice over the GP's, but I do want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something serious.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #2

momopandj HB User
Re: "Shotty" supraclavicular nodes

hi- i have the (almost) same thing going on. it started last august with shotty(7 mm) nodes in my neck. moved to 3 cm nodes in my armpit...all were biopsied and came back "lymph nodes with adipose." so they were benign. right before my biopsy i noticed nodes above and behind my collarbone- all small 5 - 7 mm. dr. said they were of no concern. in march noticed nodes in my groin.... again dr. was not concerned. i have had 2 cbc's, neck cat scan, mammogram, chest x-ray, back x-ray, neck ultra sound, and the biopsy. all came back fine. i am at my wit's end. i wouldn't be so worried except i have never felt nodes before last august and i continue to feel new ones. my collarbone bone nodes seem to come and go- as in- not there on tuesday, but then i can feel them on wednesday. let me know what you find out. this is so frustrating! it has been almost a year of worry. i can't believe i don't have an ulcer. good luck! martha.

Last edited by momopandj; 06-30-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Old 07-02-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: "Shotty" supraclavicular nodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunez67
Hi, I'm new with a specific question about "shotty" supraclavicular nodes. Does anyone know if they are of concern?

I've read that nodes that feel like buckshot, hence the term "shotty", are usually reacting to a virus. But then I've read that palpable supraclavicular nodes are usually of concern b/c they can't be felt at all on most people. I am very thin, though, which may be why mine are palpable.

The reason I ask is because my GP has been able to feel my supraclavicular nodes for the last six months. I've had 2 rounds of normal blood work and 1 normal chest/abdominal/pelvic CT. I do have systemic symptoms of low-grade fever (on and off for a year), weight loss (50 lbs in 15 months, but I was trying to lose weight, and it's leveled off in the past 9 months), fatigue, and occasional mild night sweats. However, I think it's more likely that I'm fighting off viruses on a regular basis (I have small children) than it is that I have lymphoma.

However, my GP did recently send me to a surgeon to get the nodes biopsied. Much to my surprise when I got there, the surgeon said he couldn't feel any nodes, and therefore wouldn't biopsy anything. Since that appointment, however, I've been able to feel one small hard node on each side in the supraclavicular area, and I assume they represent "shotty" nodes. They feel like small beads.

I do have an appointment with a new GP tomorrow to have the nodes rechecked before I call the surgeon back to ask his opinion. I'm inclined to trust the surgeon's advice over the GP's, but I do want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something serious.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.
There are certain types of lymphoma and other cancers that have symptoms that come and go for quite a while. Once the diagnosis is made sometimes no treatment is recommended for quite sometime. The watch and wait philosophy is taken until something effects the patient's level of functioning, such as anemia, or increasing bouts of illness that can not be successfully treated with antibiotcs. It is a frustrating diagnostic process for the patient and the doctors. The doctors do not want to misdiagnose and do harm and the patients do not want to find out that they are sick and can not be cured. The main thing to realize is that some of these symptoms look like other normal illnesses and some do not. Just continue to monitor yourself and use your own best judgment as to what to do next. In the long run, you are the best judge of how you feel.

Closed Thread