It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #1

tenneman HB User
lump under jaw

Hi, new to this and have a question about a lump I noticed under my jaw. It is actually at the very back of my jaw before it curves up to the ear, on the left side. When I turn my head up and to the right I can feel a pea size pump or smaller. When I press to feel it, it is near the muscle that run from the jaw to the neck. THe longer I feel it and roll it the less it becomes noticeable, but is there. IT is also not on the surface but a little deeper. Any thoughts? My guess is a lymph node and am worried, have an upcoming appoint with and ENT. Had a submental node removed a year ago and was told it was swollen but benign with no signs of cancer.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #2

momof4luvs2run HB User
Re: lump under jaw

Hi,
Noticed your post, because I have the same thing, but my lump is closer to my neck under my jaw. I went and saw both my regular dr and an ENT and they both said if it is under 1cm not to worry about it! They also said not to touch it alot, because this can cause it to not go down! Let me know what you find out!

momof4luvs2run

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #3

Veronica63 HB User

Hello i am new to this board. My son is 16 years old and has a large somewhat lump under his jaw. He has been on keflex 1500 mg 3x daily and now clindamycin 600 mg 2x daily. The lump is still there. his doctor said if it does not go down by monday 7/26 he will have a cat scan. he has lost his appetite and is always tired. He has constant headaches and some joint pain. I am frightened he is the best son in the world.Do you think it is just an infection.His blood work is pretty normal Some elevated granuolyctes.Thank you in advance for your replies

Old 07-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

gregv HB User

Hey there,

Well I think your doc was hoping that this node is enlarged due to a bacterial infection and then prescribed antibiotics to make it go down. If this were bacterial one would expect the node to go down but there are so many other possibilities other than lymphoma.

Maybe he has a viral infection and in this case antibiotics are useless?? Maybe they are working but the node just needs some more time to go down?? Keep in mind lymphoma is very rare when it comes to actual reasons for swollen lymph nodes. You are taking the right steps however and getting a CT scan or biopsy will definitely give you the answers you are looking for. Also keep in mind lymphoma is one of the easiest cancers to treat and if worst comes to worse you will have caught it early and have a young son who will have a great chance to beat it. I have heard several people say that their doctors say if you really had to have cancer then lymphoma would be on of the ones they would pick.

Be there for your son when he needs help and my prayers are with you.

Greg

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #5

Veronica63 HB User

Hi all

My son went for his ct scan on monday. His PCP admitted him and put him on IV antibiotics. he was seen by an ENT and he said he would not rule out a parotid tumor or lymphoma. All his blood work is normal I believe. His PCP discharged him today and said he think it is cat scratch fever and he is to see him on Friday. he is to see the ENT on August 30th. Why would he have to see the ENT on the 30th of August if it is cat scratch fever. I am concerned everyone is saying something different

Old 07-28-2004, 09:06 AM   #6

momof4luvs2run HB User

I was just wondering how big of a lump it was and where by the jaw it was located?

momof4luvs2run

Old 07-30-2004, 10:58 PM   #7

Veronica63 HB User

Hello All

My son james went to the Dr today. He has not receive the results of cat scratch blood work up. His Dr did measure the mass under his jaw it measures 6 cm. He has to return on 8/5. I do not know what is going on. I want answers. Is it Cat scratch fever,Necrotic Lymph node, parotid tumor or a lymhoma these are all the prognosis that have been given .I think it is just an infected lymph node.Please can someone tell me is 6cm to large to be cat scratch fever

Old 08-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

hi. just reading your post as i just posted something about a lump i found in my neck that's rigt under my jaw line closer to my chin on my left side. a bit tender. don't know if i'm feeling a node, new lump or swollen gland. how did your son make out? what is the official diagnosis?

Closed Thread