It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 03:49 AM  
(female)

serpentgirl HB User
Lymphoma Itch

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any characteristics specific to Lymphoma itch? I know it is usually generalized. I had an itch last week which I'm pretty sure was a result of an allergic reaction. I had some hives with it too. That itch went away, but yesterday I woke up with another minor itch. It feels like I'm being brushed with a feather. I don't have any hives and I haven't been exposed to the allergen. I'll feel it quickly on one part of my body, scratch it and a minute later I'll feel a little itch somewhere else. I read somewhere that lymphoma itch is usually more intense, but then I read somewhere else that it depends how progressed the disease is. I read another post here from someone with lymphoma who said her itch also felt like being brushed by a feather. Should I be concerned or not? I've had small (biggest one 1 cm) swollen lymph nodes in my submandibular region for 6 weeks. My drs. said not to worry, but this was before the itching.

Thanks so much,
-S

Last edited by serpentgirl; 08-27-2004 at 03:59 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:43 AM  

ysco HB User
Re: Lymphoma Itch

I don't think you got a reason to be worried. There are lots of much more common causes of itching than lymphoma, amongst probably thousands, lymphoma is at the bottom of the list. Skin conditions, allergies (like you have), as well as stress and anxiety are undoubtedly likelier causes to what you describe. Your skin conditions may explain your slightly enlarged nodes (which are likely to withdraw once the underlying causes is resolved).

I assume only lymphoma patients can accurately describe and distinguish this not quite characteristic itching supposedly associated with the disease, although many don't experience it. Weight loss, fever, prominent and significantly out-of-proportion enlarged or enlarging node(s) are more common, indicative and worrisome symptoms. If you experience the latter (of which from reading your post, I believe you do not) in conjunction with the others, being worried may be warranted, although being worried by itself doesn't really help. Further testing is then needed.

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM  
(female)

serpentgirl HB User
Re: Lymphoma Itch

Thanks for the response, ysco. It is much appreciated and has helped me calm down a bit. The itch seems to come and go. It was gone for about 2 weeks and returned yesterday when I came home from vacation. Sometimes I wonder if I've ever had it before but never really paid attention to it before I read about the generalized itching associated with lymphoma. I'm not sure. Sometimes I get hives on my hands, but the itching elsewhere on my body doesn't seem to be associated with any skin discoloration or bumps. I don't have any other symptoms with the exception of my slightly enlarged nodes which seem to have remained the same over the past few months. I was allergy tested recently and have proven to be a "very allergic individual" and I'm also pretty stressed out over this stuff, so hopefully you're right and those things are what's causing my itching. My ENT said he thinks my lymph noeds are relatively "soft" (to me, some feel soft and others rubbery) and believes they are connceted to my allergies. I would still be curious to hear from anyone who has had experience with lymphoma and itching....

Thanks for your help!!!

-S