It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

lori marie HB User
lump on mastoid bone

I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I am new here. I have had chronic hives since may 2004. about 2 years ago the dermatologist said I had a small cyst behine my ear and it had to be removed if it got bigger. I went to the surgeon at the time (2 years ago) and he said he did not feel anything so I forgot about it. I have now been going through a very bad sinus infection and finished the antibiotics for 3 weeks and now got another sinus infection. I just now noticed the lump behind my ear is larger. I am not sure it is a cyst or lymph node. It is right on the mastoid bone behind my ear and is hard I am not sure if it feels so hard because it is right over the bone or it is really hard. I am scared to death I have something really bad. I cannot see the doctor until monday and feel really scared.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: lump on mastoid bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori marie
I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I am new here. I have had chronic hives since may 2004. about 2 years ago the dermatologist said I had a small cyst behine my ear and it had to be removed if it got bigger. I went to the surgeon at the time (2 years ago) and he said he did not feel anything so I forgot about it. I have now been going through a very bad sinus infection and finished the antibiotics for 3 weeks and now got another sinus infection. I just now noticed the lump behind my ear is larger. I am not sure it is a cyst or lymph node. It is right on the mastoid bone behind my ear and is hard I am not sure if it feels so hard because it is right over the bone or it is really hard. I am scared to death I have something really bad. I cannot see the doctor until monday and feel really scared.
Usually anything like lymphoma the node is rubbery and matted rather than hard. Reactive nodes are usually associated with allergies and viruses. But, only a biopsy can determine if it is something cancerous. A fine needle biopsy is good for a definite diagnosis of cancer, but is not dependable if it comes back negative. Most doctors who are concerned that it might be cancer will recommend the complete biopsy in order to be on the safe side and not spread tumor cells.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

dawn11 HB User

i had the a lump on the mastoid bone and my dr. sent me to ent dr. how went and did a biopsy and 2 weeks later after it was sent to hospital in boston it came back non hodgkin lymphoma that was dec10th ,2004 and when they had me go do a cat scan there were 3more nodes swelled and had a bone marrow which was neg. been thru 3chemo and rad treatment and i go friday for another cat scan . so i would get a second op.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #4

always worried HB User

I 'm so scared now!!!!!
I have had a lump on my bastoid bone for years now . Its been the same size as long as I can remember. If it was lymphoma would it not have gotten bigger by now. I now scared that I have lymphoma and its to far gone by now

Why did i come in here and read this I'm going to be a basket case for the rest of the night.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #5

always worried HB User

i'm so scared right now. I can't sleep. I'm convinced that I'm dying of cancer. I've had this lump for so long now..

Old 08-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #6

always worried HB User

dawn 11 !!!!

how big was your lump ?? what did it feel like? Was it getting bigger

Mine's been the same same size for 5 years now maybe even longer.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #7

always worried HB User

can no one help
I'm having a melt down

Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
(male)

help0001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by always worried
can no one help
I'm having a melt down
Hi. I am sorry to hear that you have found a lymph node in your "mastoid" region. I too have one, well actually I have one on each side. Mine have maintained a consistent size so far, but they are painless. Sometimes these nodes just turn out to be harmless and are simply "reactive" because of an underlinning infection that is not so apparent to yourself immediately. I would advise you to get it checked out though and perhaps have it biopsied. That way you will know for sure that it isn't a malignant node and then you can feel re-assured and it should allow you to get back to some normality. Have you got any other symptoms with that node? and have you had any bloods done and if so what are the results? I hope you manage to sort this out. Please keep me posted.

Closed Thread