It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
(male)

ryu1977 HB User
dermatitis and lymphoma????

Dear all

Perhaps I seem like a paranoid but since I am living far from my family in foreign country now I always worry about my health. I came from tropical country, which does not have winter, and now stay in colder country for studying, this is the first winter in my life.

Since late November 2004 until now I have a dermatitis/eczema (quite itching)at my skin. Starting from my both thighs. Basically it was not so severe but somehow I made mistake for using a balm with metyl salicylate into my entire skin and after that the eczema started to spread to my entire body. I had met dermatologist late December and he gave me topical steroid cream (mometazone). After that basically the eczema could be controlled however it is not 100% cured from my skin, especially at my thighs and arms. I use the cream rarely (once every 4 days) and the itching is not so severe. Only sometimes it flares up and become red. My dermatologist also gives me vaseline for repair my skin dryness.

The dermatologist said that my skin is very sensitive to the dry weather and he said it has good progress and not a malignant symptoms. He also said to wait for the spring until I totally get cured.

However I still worry because I never have this kind of eczema during my life and I also read several websites about the relation between eczema/itching and lymphoma/leukemia.

I don't have any other symptoms such as swollen glands,night sweating,etc.
Please if anybody could give me brief explanation about the relation between lymphoma and dermatitis I will be very happy and really appreciate that.

Thank you for all and please apologize me if I seem too worry about this. I wish everybody will have good health. God bless you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

jesuslver HB User
Re: dermatitis and lymphoma????

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can sure appreciate your concern. I am wondering what a rash from lymphoma would look like. I have had one slightly larger tonsil than the other since December (at least that's when I discovered it.) My ENT thinks it has just always been this size. He is not concerned but is checking it every couple months to see if it gets larger. However, about 3 weeks ago, I broke out in little red bumps on my chest. They look like acne. I wondered if this is the type of rash lymphoma causes. My skin is slightly itchy sometimes, but not where the rash is.

From what I read, the connection is between psyriosis and lymphoma...not eczema...and is due to the medicine used to heal it. Anyone know any more on this?

Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
(female)

mtnestorof2 HB User

Months before my son was diagnosed with Hodgkins he had very sensitive and itchy skin. He never had a rash. When he would scratch himself his skin would raise up and be red for a long time.The itchyness was all over but he said it felt like it came from within. His palms would itch. Little did I know this was a sign of what was to come. I thought he was taking too hot of a shower or soaking in the tub too long, so I was always on the lookout for a better body lotion. I think they mention Lymphoma as a risk with using Elidel which is being prescribed for eczema.I think if you have no other symptoms, I would just keep doing what you are doing and hope for nice weather.
Jana

Old 03-08-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
(male)

ryu1977 HB User

Dear all

Thank you very much for the reply, jesuslver and mtnestorof2 (mrs Jana).

From many websites that I had read, basically itching/rash is not a definitive symptom of lymphoma. It only happens rarely in the case of Hodgkins disease and usually the rash happens after the swollen glands. In case of non Hodgkins and leukemia usually it spreads rapidly and come with the other symptoms (once again, not a definitive symptom) and the form of rash is unique so that the dermatologist will be able to recognize that.

However, because I am not a medician and only learn from internet, I still worry about my eczema. Perhaps if among us there is a medician or people who has experience with lymphoma, we can share about itching symptoms in lymphoma in order to increase our awareness to this disease.

I wish that your son will get cured totally from hodgkins, mrs Jana.
As additional information,perhaps it will be useful for all, I read from several websites also that Hodgkins disease is a cancer with high prognosis, even in stadium 4 this cancer has high survival rate (over 80%).

Old 03-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1977
Dear all

Perhaps I seem like a paranoid but since I am living far from my family in foreign country now I always worry about my health. I came from tropical country, which does not have winter, and now stay in colder country for studying, this is the first winter in my life.

Since late November 2004 until now I have a dermatitis/eczema (quite itching)at my skin. Starting from my both thighs. Basically it was not so severe but somehow I made mistake for using a balm with metyl salicylate into my entire skin and after that the eczema started to spread to my entire body. I had met dermatologist late December and he gave me topical steroid cream (mometazone). After that basically the eczema could be controlled however it is not 100% cured from my skin, especially at my thighs and arms. I use the cream rarely (once every 4 days) and the itching is not so severe. Only sometimes it flares up and become red. My dermatologist also gives me vaseline for repair my skin dryness.

The dermatologist said that my skin is very sensitive to the dry weather and he said it has good progress and not a malignant symptoms. He also said to wait for the spring until I totally get cured.

However I still worry because I never have this kind of eczema during my life and I also read several websites about the relation between eczema/itching and lymphoma/leukemia.

I don't have any other symptoms such as swollen glands,night sweating,etc.
Please if anybody could give me brief explanation about the relation between lymphoma and dermatitis I will be very happy and really appreciate that.

Thank you for all and please apologize me if I seem too worry about this. I wish everybody will have good health. God bless you all.
There is a type of lymphoma which is specifically presented on the skin, but it creates open running sores. I too come from a Tropical atmosphere and when the atmosphere is dry, I feel very bad all over. Just make sure to wear loose clothing that does not scratch your skin and wear lotions that are very oily during winter. It will help to keep your skin moist. Also double up the amount of water that you drink because cool weather makes you believe you are not thirsty but you really are. Avoid carbonated beverages and caffiene. There are many good teas that are low in caffeine for warm beverages that will not dry you out. The main thing is to follow your doctors orders and drink a lot of water.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
(female)

jesuslver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestorof2
Months before my son was diagnosed with Hodgkins he had very sensitive and itchy skin. He never had a rash. When he would scratch himself his skin would raise up and be red for a long time.The itchyness was all over but he said it felt like it came from within. His palms would itch. Little did I know this was a sign of what was to come. I thought he was taking too hot of a shower or soaking in the tub too long, so I was always on the lookout for a better body lotion. I think they mention Lymphoma as a risk with using Elidel which is being prescribed for eczema.I think if you have no other symptoms, I would just keep doing what you are doing and hope for nice weather.
Jana
What type of lymphoma does your son have Jana? I hope he is completely cured. I only have itchiness sometimes. It's not a constant itch. It may just be the "winter itch". It has been extremely cold this winter.

Closed Thread