It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #1

Rema HB User
Unhappy Lymphoma - Hereditary?

My father in law passed away earlier this year after only being diagnsed with Lymphoma disease (non-hodgkins) for 10 months. He undersent chemo, raiotherapy but in the end his disease was too aggressive and not responding to any medication.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this disease is hereditary. I fear for my husband and the rest of his immediate family.

thanks

Old 09-19-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
This is an article on risk factors for non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

Cancer.gov - What You Need To Know About™ Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
[url="http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancerinfo/wyntk/non-hodgkins-lymphoma#22"]http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancerinfo/wyntk/non-hodgkins-lymphoma#22[/url]

It is possible to inherit genetic predispositions to diseases without ever getting those diseases. If you are very worried, speak with a Genetic Counsellor [an M.D.]. There are genetic tests available for some of the genes linked to an increased probability of a specific disease. Ideally, your father-in-law's DNA should be examined to identify whether there was a specific inborn genetic error responsible for his nHD.

Genetic errors can also occur after birth; this type of error is NOT passed on to future generations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Inactive

johnsonk59 HB User
Hi Rema,my onc told me it is not hereditry,i had Hodgkins,also my onc is a Professor and i trust him completely,don't worry too much.
Keith from UK.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #4

Rema HB User
Smile

Thank you both so much for responding. I feel a little bit better now. I guess I have been feeling very paranoid since my father-in-law passed away and all sorts of negative thoughts have been running through my head.

Thanks Again

Rema

Old 09-19-2002, 08:27 PM   #5

LisaRenee' HB User
Thumbs up

Hello...I am a survivor of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and so my first question was "Will my kids have a chance of getting this?" My doctor says that this is not hereditary as some cancers are. They think that it may be linked to a pesticide or a solvent. Try not to worry so much...good luck

Closed Thread