It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2002, 09:16 AM   #1

Nora_Lee HB User
Question Lump on back of neck

Hi,
I'm new here. I just signed up.
I have a lump on the back of my neck, just between my spine and my hairline, on the left side of my neck. I think it might be a lymph node, but i'm not sure. It has been there since the beginning of December 1999. I am 17, and i have not told my parents, and i have not gone to a doctor about it. It's only about a centimeter in diametre. Sometimes it will get slightly larger than other times, but not by much. Lately it has been hurting a bit. It is fairly firm also. There is another smaller, harder lump right above that one.
I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for me or anything. I have wondered before if it could be cancer, but i have never been to a doctor about it. The main reason i have not told my parents is coz i don't really talk about my health much, and i really don't like going to the doctors.
Thanks for any advice i can get.
God Bless,
Nora

p.s. i know this is a long post for a newbie who dosen't know anyone, but thanks for listening.

Old 06-17-2002, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Bumps can be caused by a number of different things. However, even a benign bump can be hazardous simply because of its size or location. Anything that may interfere with your spine really should be looked into.

Suggest you read up on the blood/lymphatic system and bone/joints at this link and get a better idea of what may be going on. Then, I hope you speak with your parents and see your doctor.
[url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthtopics.html"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthtopics.html[/url]

Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2002, 09:37 AM   #3

Nora_Lee HB User
OK, so i'm replying to my own message.
I've not gone to a doc or anything yet.
I was wondering about something else now. Should you be able to feel the lymph nodes right above your collar bone without pressing very hard? I mean like not putting any pressure at all on them. I can sometimes. I'm wondering if it might be the angle i am sitting at at the time or what? Can the way you sit and lean on your arm make them more able to be felt?
Anyway... thanks for your time...
God Bless,
Nora

Old 11-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
In general, it should be fairly easy to feel or 'palp' lymph nodes. That's what doctors usually do during a regular physical exam. What they check for includes: size, shape, texture [lumpiness], symmetry [nodes on both sides of the body should be about the same in all ways] and number [sometimes it may seem that there are more nodes than there should be.]

However, since there are other organs, glands and tissues nearby, it is best to have this evaluation performed by an expert - your doctor. For the same reason, a positive lymphoma diagnosis is usually made only after you've had blood tests [CBC Diff], diagnostic imaging [X-ray, CT scan], lumbar puncture [spinal tap] and, sometimes, a biopsy. After all, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatment are nothing to take lightly.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Inactive

Denise F HB User
You should have it checked out, but it is probably
nothing so don't worry. You might go to your school
nurse she could give you a better idea if it should
really be checked by a Dr.
Don't worry about telling your parents if the school
nurse thinks it should be checked out she'll probably
send home a note.

------------------

Old 11-07-2002, 04:58 PM   #6

Nora_Lee HB User
Thanks for your reply Denise. I don't have a school nurse though. I was homeschooled and i've taken my GED. Therefore, no school nurse. If that was an option i think i'd do it though.
The only reason i worry about telling my parents is i don't talk about my health much at all. So i get kinda freaked out if i have to talk about my health, especially if it's something i worry might be serious.

God Bless,
Nora

Old 11-08-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Nora,

Don't be afraid to say something to your parents.
You don't have to make a big deal just say to your
Mom "Would you look at this lump on my neck? What do you
suppose it is?"
If you don't have a regular Dr. to see or money
is a problem there are usually free or low cost
clinics available.
I have a 17 yr. old daughter and she still tells
me about every boo-boo.

------------------

Old 11-08-2002, 02:22 PM   #8

Nora_Lee HB User
Hey Denise,

Yeah, i told my mom about two months after i found it, and she asked me if i wanted to have it checked out if it didn't go away. I declined, coz i hate going to the doctors. That was Feb of 2000.
Maybe i'll get the courage to tell someone someday. Talking about stuff like that, even non-serious, isn't my best thing.
God Bless,
Nora

Closed Thread