It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 PM   #1

drummerdude HB User
Unhappy Lump in neck below ear

Hello,

I hope that maybe some of you can help me out. About a week ago, I notice that right below my ear, behind the bend in the jaw bone, there is a grape sized, painless lump. Ever since I noticed it I've just been freaking out as to what it may be. I plan on going to the doc to have it checked out sometime soon. Also I've read up on cancer symptoms and I don't have any of the night sweats, loss of weight, etc that everyone talks about. Of course also I've heard that you don't have to have these symptoms either. Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts?

Thanks
-Dan

Old 09-01-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
(male)

123456789 HB User
Wow, you sound like you have the EXACT same lump as me. Same location and we both have no symptoms. Mine grows and shrinks every few days. Does yours ever change size at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #3

drummerdude HB User
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.....however mine does not shrink or grow or change size, it has stayed pretty much constant for the past week, but that does not mean that they are not of the same type of condition. Does anybody out there experience this or have thoughts on what this might be for both of us? Please respond....

Old 09-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #4

drummerdude HB User
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.....however mine does not shrink or grow or change size, it has stayed pretty much constant for the past week, but that does not mean that they are not of the same type of condition. Does anybody out there experience this or have thoughts on what this might be for both of us? Please respond....

Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #5
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
hello, i to also have a small lump behind my left hear. It varies in sizes day by day, at times its not there at all. And at other days its there. Even the pain is very random. Right now the slightest touch on it hurts alot and at certain days its painless. Can anyone tell us what this lump behind the ear is? Someone had told me it could be a cyst, thx for the info.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:01 AM   #6

upinam HB User
RE: Lump below ear

It is very possible that the lump below your ear is an infected salivary gland but it could also be something more serious. My husband had a similar place behind his ear and it was first thought to be an infection. He had no other symptoms. Some times the place was painful and sometimes not. It was treated with several rounds of antibiotics and when nothing worked, he insisted on a biopsy. It was first thought to be salivary gland cancer and then eventally turned out to be non hodgkins lymphoma. Hopefully, yours is an infection but you should all go to the doctor right away. These things are treatable...the sooner the better. Good luck to you! Linda

I hope that maybe some of you can help me out. About a week ago, I notice that right below my ear, behind the bend in the jaw bone, there is a grape sized, painless lump. Ever since I noticed it I've just been freaking out as to what it may be. I plan on going to the doc to have it checked out sometime soon. Also I've read up on cancer symptoms and I don't have any of the night sweats, loss of weight, etc that everyone talks about. Of course also I've heard that you don't have to have these symptoms either. Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts?

Thanks
-Dan[/QUOTE]

Old 11-14-2003, 08:09 AM   #7

vickikt HB User
My Mom had a lump similar to what you described and she didn't have any pain or symptoms. My mom got it tested and it was positive for Non Hodkins Lymphoma. If you have a lump it never hurts to have it checked out, I would rather be safe then sorry. The sooner you have it looked it the better, but that is just me. I hope it is nothing, but to me it is worth checking out. Hope that helps!

Last edited by vickikt; 11-14-2003 at 08:10 AM.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 PM   #8

Palladium HB User
Mucoepidermoid

Hello, my brother had what sounds like the same lump right under his ear about where the ear lobe would touch and behind the jaw bone. He just got it biopsied and the doctors said it is MUCOEPIDERMOID. His doctor said when he went in to remove it it had little fingers wrapped around his nerve there. Now he is going back for surgery again.

I don't know much more now. I found this site because I was looking up what he has so I could learn more about it. This type of cancer is most prevalent after 40 years old from what I've heard.

GO HAVE IT CHECKED!! BIOPSY!!

Old 11-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
(female)

Nikala HB User
Hi my dad had a lump in the same place and we nagged him to go see the doc, it turned out he had cancer so i would get it checked just to be safe

Old 11-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #10

mccheval HB User
Smile Re: Lump in neck below ear

[/FONT][SIZE=7][COLOR=Blue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdude
I hope that you have been to the doctor by now, but in case you haven't: I have been recently diagnosed with nodular sclerosis Hodgkin's and I've done a lot of reading over the past few weeks. Many individuals are even asymptomatic, but a very common symptom is a swollen, painless lymph gland. My first indication of the disease was an itching rash that the dermatologist decided was eczema. Then I developed a cough that, for about 6 months, was decided to be allergies. I never had a noticeably swollen gland. Symptoms are different for different people. Go have it checked. If it turns out to be lymphoma, an early diagnosis is more curable. Go to the doctor!

Hello,

Thanks
-Dan
[FONT=Arial]

Old 11-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #11

drummerdude HB User
Re: Lump in neck below ear

I really appreciate everyone given advice and input to everything you have described. In case you are curious here is and update of what has improved and what else has come along (may or may not be related).

The lump that was below me ear has gone away. I went to the doctor and he said that I more than likely had a minor infection and that the swelling of the node would go down by the end of the week. (this was about a month ago) Sure enough the swelling did go down, but it took a little more than a week for it to happen. Currentlty where that lump was and when moving my fingers around the gland it feels as if there is still something there, but not a lump, I can only describe it as something "stringy." Or kind of like a strand around the gland.

To the other thing related or maybe not....So far I have felt fine up until 3 weeks ago when I was sitting in a movie and I felt for a few seconds like I was about to pass out, my chest got real heavy and I couldn't breathe, then I would feel a "burning" sensation in the back of my neck and the top of my head. I would continue to have attacks like this for awhile and at times felt almost as if I was about to die and stop breathing and pass out on the floor right where I was. Along with that in the left upper-part of the abdomen I have this feeling of what I call "something there." I feel as if it is pushing up against my diaphram and causing me to have trouble taking a deep, full breath. For example today I went to eat and after eating I felt as if the food was still sitting in my esophagus at the bottom of my rib cage in the center of my chest and I had feeling of being full. I went to the doctor late last week and they took some blood (results came back ok) and referred me to a gastroenterologist which I have an appointment with in the next couple of weeks. Could any of this be related? Still investigating and also going to see another doctor who I was referred to by some friends of mine who I am real close with and they have a good relationship with him and say that he is very thourough. That's Dec 5th. We'll see what happens. Keep sharing your thoughts and I'll keep everyone in the loop with updates when they happen.

Regards

Old 12-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #12

escape HB User

i have a lump too, but its more on my jaw than behind my ear. also, it grows and shrinks sometimes. rarely does it hurt when i touch it, but that has happened. i have had it for a little more than a month i thought it would be gone by now, but its not. i wish someone could tell me more about

Old 12-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #13

upinam HB User

The best thing that you can do is see a doctor and find out if is anything serious or nothing at all. Then you won't have to worry about it. Good luck Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape
i have a lump too, but its more on my jaw than behind my ear. also, it grows and shrinks sometimes. rarely does it hurt when i touch it, but that has happened. i have had it for a little more than a month i thought it would be gone by now, but its not. i wish someone could tell me more about

Old 12-11-2003, 04:44 PM   #14

Davidps HB User

I discovered a lump below my right ear near the jaw bone while shaving one morning back in 9/92. I had surgery 3/93 and removal of a lymph node. By 6/93 it had grown back, only bigger this time. CAT scan and needle biopsy could not rule out Sqamus Cell Carcinoma and it was diagnosed as a cyst by Stanford Med. Center. Surgery was again completed on 12/2/03 and on 12/9/93, stitches were removed and the results of the biopsy were (thank God) benign. It was near the carotid artery and salivary gland so I'm so relieved that it was not cancer, just hoping it does not grow back again because two surgeries in one year is enough. The second was done by ENT and oncologists at Stanford so I feel I got the best care. Doctors told me the tissue was too soft to be cancer even before I received the results of the biopsy. Also, that there are over 300 lymphnodes on each side of your face so not to worry having one of them removed. Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #15

shaw1850 HB User

Hi, I have been experiencing that same type of limp behind my left jaw, in front of my ear. But I seem to have been having constant pain from behind my ear radiating down to my shoulders on my left side. I have various small nodes swollen around my neck which are not tender. I am worried about the large hard lump behind my jaw, I have researched it on the net and it always goes to cancer sites and gets me worried. I have spoken to my dentist about it and he said to just keep an eye on it. I don't know if I should wait it out or go to the family doctor. Have anyone of you guys been to the doctor about the lump right behind your jaw? If you have let me know.

Closed Thread