It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2003, 12:37 PM   #1

intravenousrn HB User
Post lump under armpit

Hoping someone can help...
My husband (who will be 40 next month) has had a lump under his right arm. He has had it for about 7 or 8 months. It has been the size of a pea, round and hard, not painful. My husband would not get it checked out. I am an RN (18 years) and I deal with a lot of patients with cancer, including lymphoma. He has had night sweats and some weight loss but nothing too serious at this point. I told him to get a biopsy but he says "once they start cutting on you, then it spreads all over." So I let it go...can't force someone to go to the doctor.

This morning my husband tells me that the lump under his arm has gotten bigger. He said sometimes it goes down...but I have to wonder. Now the lump has grown longer like in a string (if that makes any sense). It is still hard, not painful. He is not showing any signs of an infection anywhere. I am concerned and worried that it could be lymphoma. He said he might go to the doctors someday. We have two young children (3 and 7)...I know the earlier something is caught the better the chances.

If anyone can help me out and give me some advice on what to do and how to accomplish it I would be greatly appreciative.

Old 06-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #2

marionf HB User
You know he needs to get this checked out! Tell him that possibly
they can do a needle biopsy so maybe he won't be so afraid.
The majority of lymphoma's can be beaten now, why wait and
make the odds worse. It could even be something not serious
too, like an infection or ingrown hair. If he won't get too mad
call and make the appointment for him. Sometimes Men just
need that first push.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2003, 06:17 AM   #3

intravenousrn HB User
Talking

As luck would have it, I was able to convince him to go to the doctors. I will be calling this morning as soon as the office opens. I am hoping our doctor will think a biopsy is needed...if not I am going to have a major fit in the office. Will let you know the outcome.

You are right that he is scared. He does not want the lumps cut out and I explained to him they can do a needle biopsy. This is the same man who lost part of a finger at work one day and has had numerous major cuts but he is so afraid of doctors. My husband is a country boy who does not have much faith in the medical system. (Then why did he marry a nurse?!)

Thanks for replying!

Old 06-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #4

marionf HB User
I can relate. My Hubbie's the same way. He just had a check up
and they did a rectal finger exam. You would have thought he
had been violated in a major way. LOL. I told him not to complain
to me until he went through a Pap smear.LOL Men are such babies. Esp. when they get sick!

------------------

Old 07-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #5

bali HB User
IntravenousRN, how did things work out?

-35 yr old male, lump under armpit, needs to make appt

Old 07-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #6

intravenousrn HB User
Hello bali!

Amazingly, everything worked out fine. In fact, a few days after I posted my question, the lump became very large and extremely red! My husband did go to the doctors (a miracle I might add!). The doctor lanced it and a great deal of pus came out and then the doctor continued to squeeze and proceeded to get a bunch more nasty "stuff" out. The doctor said it was an infected sebaceous cyst and I do believe he was right. My husband was placed on an antibiotic and all is well now. The cyst is still there and will need to be removed at somepoint (if my husband gets the nerve).

All along I thought the worst because of his sweating and fatigue. I am so thankful the cyst became infected or else my husband would have never done anything about the lump...

Go and make the appointment and get it checked out. Let the doctor know if you are having any symptoms. If you strongly feel that something is wrong, insist on a biopsy. It is better to be safe than sorry...or what I like to say: "When in doubt, check it out!"

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #7

intravenousrn HB User
Hello bali!

Amazingly, everything worked out fine. In fact, a few days after I posted my question, the lump became very large and extremely red! My husband did go to the doctors (a miracle I might add!). The doctor lanced it and a great deal of pus came out and then the doctor continued to squeeze and proceeded to get a bunch more nasty "stuff" out. The doctor said it was an infected sebaceous cyst and I do believe he was right. My husband was placed on an antibiotic and all is well now. The cyst is still there and will need to be removed at somepoint (if my husband gets the nerve).

All along I thought the worst because of his sweating and fatigue. I am so thankful the cyst became infected or else my husband would have never done anything about the lump...

Go and make the appointment and get it checked out. Let the doctor know if you are having any symptoms. If you strongly feel that something is wrong, insist on a biopsy. It is better to be safe than sorry...or what I like to say: "When in doubt, check it out!"

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #8

mvath HB User
I was just surfing the net looking up "swollen glands in armpit" and I came across your posting.

I recently woke up (about a few weeks ago) with a real pain under my armpit. It was a "zit" or "ingrown hair" - I couldn't really tell. About an inch away was a lump - a mobile, somewhat soft swollen gland. I went to the doctor who told me not to worry about it and that it was probably simply a reaction to the zit or ingrown hair in that region. He was fairly certian that it was a swollen gland but said that if it was a sist of some sort - he said it still did not concern him in the least due to its texture. I went for a second opinion. The second doctor was certain that it was a swollen gland and that it was a reaction to the zit/ingrown hair.
I'm a little worried. The zit/hair is now gone (has been for about a week)but the gland continues to be swollen (still mobile and somewhat soft). It does not appear to have grown in size. How long does a gland remain swollen if responding to an infection or pain of some sort in the are? Should it have gone down yet? I hate to obsess about these things but it worries me to look down and see this lump under my right armpit (slightly to the oustide area).

Any responses would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Concerned

Old 07-21-2003, 06:33 AM   #9

intravenousrn HB User
Usually, a gland can stay swollen for weeks if not months. And the more you touch it the longer it will stay swollen. (I know how hard it is not to touch it...you become obsessed with it). I just had a swollen gland on my neck and it has taken at least two weeks to go down. Try not to worry too much. If in a few months it is still there then I would go back to the doctor for another evaluation. Typically, most cancerous lumps are hard and not mobile.
Good luck and let me know how you do.
Marianne

Old 07-21-2003, 03:54 PM   #10

mvath HB User
Hi Marianne,

Thank you very much for your reply. If it does not go away within the next several weeks, I will have a doctor look at it again. Thank you again.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #11

karenchen HB User
I hope someone can respond to my question and tell me what's wrong. I started noticing a small lump under my armpits and I thought it was just a zit so I ignored it and a few days later, I started to notice some changes. It's now a bit bigger, probably about the size of pea or a big bigger and each time I touch it, it just hurts like a zit would. I've the lump for about 3 days now. Is it anything cancerous? My dad said it's probably just swollen and it'll heal. It kind of makes sense. Is it dangerous? I'm really afraid. Hopefully you'll reply to this message and give me some advice as I'm really nervous about this problem. Thanks

Old 10-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #12

intravenousrn HB User
I am not an expert in this but I know how things happened with my husband's lump. He had the lump for over 6 months and it turned out to be an infected sebaceous cyst. I have one on top of my head that is going to be removed next week. I have always been told that most cancerous tumors usually do not hurt but I am sure there is someout on this list that would say the tumor was painful. Always, when in doubt, see a physician. Let the physician know if you have been ill lately...even a cold or sore throat. My husband's cyst showed up after he had a bad case of poison oak and his arm swelled terribly. I knew his cyst could not be cancerous when is turned red and very painful and even got a "pus" filled pimple on it. Believe me...for a while I was worried that he had lymphoma. Hang in there...and when in doubt, check it out!
Good luck!
Marianne

Old 10-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #13

karenchen HB User
Thanks for the advice. So you're saying they have to be removed surgically? Well I'm not sure if mine is getting any smaller, its only been a few days, but its not getting any bigger, so I feel better. I'll probably see how things go in about a week.

Closed Thread