It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Could I have Hodgkins Disease? Please read

Hi - I'm new to the boards and would like some advice. I went to the doctor today because I have an upper respiratory infection. She was examing me and noticed that I have a swollen lymph node on my neck (gland area). She said that it could be from the infection that I have or it could possibly be Hodgkins Disease. She wants me to come back in 6 weeks but that seems like a lifetime to me at this point. I can't stand the waiting. I'm a 22 yr. old female and I'm scared. I know that Hodgkins is very treatable, but its still a scary thought. Can anyone give me any info on how they test for this? Also, please pray for me that this is only swollen from the infection!! I've been sick for 4 days and have had a soar throat, stuffy nose, cough, soreness in chest area, runny nose, trouble resting. Does it not seem like its just infection?? I dont have any pain in the lymph node. Thanks for any advice - Catherine

Old 12-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Could I have Hodgkins Disease? Please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine83
Hi - I'm new to the boards and would like some advice. I went to the doctor today because I have an upper respiratory infection. She was examing me and noticed that I have a swollen lymph node on my neck (gland area). She said that it could be from the infection that I have or it could possibly be Hodgkins Disease. She wants me to come back in 6 weeks but that seems like a lifetime to me at this point. I can't stand the waiting. I'm a 22 yr. old female and I'm scared. I know that Hodgkins is very treatable, but its still a scary thought. Can anyone give me any info on how they test for this? Also, please pray for me that this is only swollen from the infection!! I've been sick for 4 days and have had a soar throat, stuffy nose, cough, soreness in chest area, runny nose, trouble resting. Does it not seem like its just infection?? I dont have any pain in the lymph node. Thanks for any advice - Catherine
Six weeks is usually an appropriate amount of time to get over a respiratory infection. It has been known to take up to 18 months to get a difinitive diagnosis on Lymphoma because the symptoms are similar to a lot of less serious diseases. The definitive diagnosis is based on a biopsy of a lymph node because Hodgkins disease is cancer of the lymph system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
(male)

help0001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merimac
Six weeks is usually an appropriate amount of time to get over a respiratory infection. It has been known to take up to 18 months to get a difinitive diagnosis on Lymphoma because the symptoms are similar to a lot of less serious diseases. The definitive diagnosis is based on a biopsy of a lymph node because Hodgkins disease is cancer of the lymph system.
Hi, I totally have to agree with your comment about the length of time it can take for a diagnosis of lymphoma to be made. I've been referred to a hematologist, during August time and i'm still none the wiser, except I have been advised to keep an open mind now, because i'm beginning to drastically lose weight, and have drenching sweats. My Hematologist hasn't yet gone for a biopsy. Its all very frustrating because he doesn't seem to be doing things as quick as he could do. But I think he's just watching and waiting for things to show.

Take care.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

ewe no me HB User

Hodgkins is curable, Non-Hodgkins is not. 22 years old is young for that disease but nothing is impossible. I am very shocked at your age and with knowing you have had such a infection that your doctor would even mention this Hodgkins until after your symtoms are over. They can not treat Hodgkins until you are somewhat progressed in this disease and the nodes are not what I mean. By all means keep check on it. But the doc should not have put that in your head yet.

Closed Thread